Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

When the AUG first came out, it represented incredible technology. Compared to an iron sighted Colt 16 inch AR, it seemed like cheating. I had a pair of them, complete with Giles Stock scotch guard trigger jobs. I shot one the first time I went to the 3 Gun Nationals.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When the AUG first came out, it represented incredible technology. Compared to an iron sighted Colt 16 inch AR, it seemed like cheating. I had a pair of them, complete with Giles Stock scotch guard trigger jobs. I shot one the first time I went to the 3 Gun Nationals.
    That is very much like my A1 that belonged to Bill Jeans....with the Giles trigger job and all. The recent AUGs have actually come a long way. With that said if you keep them to a sling, light, and Aimpoint gun they are at the top of the food chain like they were when they ruled 3 gun, when three gun was a much more practical game and the guns were limited to pretty much stock with a sling.
    If you need or want more than a stripped simple gun, get an AR. Like many things, the AUG is best when it is kept inside of the realm it excels at and not made into something it is not. It is like the MP-5, for tight interior work, they are awesome to this day, it was when folks thought taking airfields with them and making them into counter sniper guns that they fail as a good choice.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Excellent thread.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    What is involved with a "scotch guard" trigger job ?

What are the options for adding a light to an A1 other than the old Surefire mount that attaches to the front leg of the optic mount ?

I found one of the old SF mounts used but I'm still looking for a suitable light. It looks like it will take a 6P but will require a tape switch for activation.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What is involved with a "scotch guard" trigger job ?

What are the options for adding a light to an A1 other than the old Surefire mount that attaches to the front leg of the optic mount ?

I found one of the old SF mounts used but I'm still looking for a suitable light. It looks like it will take a 6P but will require a tape switch for activation.
    A scotch guard trigger job was when you sent your trigger pack and $50 or $75 to Giles Stock, and he got out the green 3M pad and smoothed out the trigger.

I bought the SF clamps that went on the barrel, and attached a light via a Weaver ring.

The AUG was a technological marvel, sort of the carbine version of a an HK P7. Unfortunately, neither product has substantially changed since their introduction. Between my wife being lefty (and me righty), spare parts, the small but still there concern of the effect of a kaboom by my face, the difficulty attaching stuff that we consider normal now like vertical grips, lights, reserve sights, free float tubes, etc., I see the AUG, like the P7, as wonderful examples of 80's technology now superseded. If someone wants one for nostalgia or a niche use, go for it, but I sold my two pre-ban and one classic AUG for stupid high prices during the post Newtown panic.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

DO NOT TRY TO DO A TRIGGER JOB ON THESE THINGS-PERIOD. Giles is one of the very few folks on the planet who knows what he is doing, and it took a lot of supported help to figure it out. The newer packs don't seem to need it.

Kabooms by your cheek.......I have traced exactly one case in Australia with some sort of crazy situation with a set of circumstances that would be near impossible to dulicate......and the guy was not horribly injured. The design of the gun makes this a real non-issue that folks like to imagine is more of an issue than it is.

Not on board with the the P7 analogy (and lord knows I love me some P7's). They are more like a Glock in my mind. There are a lot of things the AUG still does better than the competition. Again, stick with minimal stuff, and they are excellent. If you want night vision, laser stuff (even though I do have a DBAL on my A2) and IR, and the ability to hang tons of stuff on the gun including grenade launchers, then you should go to an AR (even though they have all this stuff for an AUG), short suppressed with a bunch of stuff-416. Buying an A1 AUG is very much like buying a Gen 1 Glock. It works, but there are better solutions. The A3 AUG is very much like the Gen 3 Glock. Still retard simple, but with the ability to add some critical new stuff like high quality WML's and enhanced sights. Like the Glock......once you start trying to modify them too much, you start to create issues (this is also a problem on roids with the AR).

With GJM's righty and lefty who both shoot in the home, I get the issue. With that said, it is not a weapon issue, its a logistic issue. GJM's wife could run a twin A3 AUG with a left hand bolt and a red dot just like anything else. Free float tubes........mine shoots sub inch without issue......I need a free float for my cold hammer forged high quality barrel on a gun that is not designed as a sniper platform because.......

Saying the AUG is an 80's relic that is no longer relevant is as logical as saying the Beretta is an 80's relic that is no longer relevant.....

Maybe the AUG is more like the LEM P30.....good at what it was designed for, and not so much when forced into a hole it wasn't.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 11-23-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Everything has some degree of utility. I do think that the AUG is probably the "best" of the 80s EuroTrash bullpups, but I find the lack of handguard space hampering to tasks beyond those of an SMG.

A lot of this is related to my general non-appreciation of bullpup designs, though I would probably lean toward a Tavor these days.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Everything has some degree of utility. I do think that the AUG is probably the "best" of the 80s EuroTrash bullpups, but I find the lack of handguard space hampering to tasks beyond those of an SMG.

A lot of this is related to my general non-appreciation of bullpup designs, though I would probably lean toward a Tavor these days.
    So, what is your opinion of trying to shorten a long hand guard gun to the size of a sub machine gun for use in roles where the sub machine gun is likely the best choice.....you know, like indoor room combat.

I have a deployment package set up right now for a contract. This is the long gun load out. Can we guess the roles of each?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    .... My AUG is bone stock. I have a Giles sling on it. No light on it but that's the only thing I've ever considered adding. A railed receiver would be nice.

One big thing about AUGs is they are very clean guns to shoot. If you want to clean the barrel push a button and pull it out.

I never carried an AUG at work but we had four on the team at one point. They found the railed receivers and put Aimpoints on them. They were very fast shooting rifles. Our guys developed an empty gun reload for them. Take the new magazine and use it to push the magazine release to drop the empty mag. Then insert the new magazine. The guys that practiced it had very fast reloads.

You can change which way the brass ejects very easily. One of the guys who carried one was left handed. He had no issues shooting the gun. It was ergonomic for either hand. You're not shooting it off your support shoulder unless you want to catch some brass to the face. I saw a video for support side shooting with the AUG but I never tried it. I've never had an issue with only being able to shoot strong side with the AUG.

I have a 42 round magazine loaded with TRU ballistic tips for the primary magazine and 30 round mags for reloads.
    This thread got me curious about AUGs. I saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K5MYDmTEUM

Looks like theres a workable method for left handed shooting without getting brass in the face, as well as suppressors, and like you said, railed receivers for lights, lasers and whatever.

User Tag List