Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    CDNN has the Aug on sale for $1599 with 2 42 rd mags and 3 30 rd mags.
    http://www.cdnnsports.com/aug-a3-223...l#.VHEi1opOLCQ
    Dayum, that's tempting.

But I want a green one.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Now think about that with a 4" shorter barrel. You are looking at the same as running a 7.5 inch barreled AR, but with 16" blast and ballistics
    Older pic of mine, where I tried to show this (have since changed to an Aimpoint T-1 in a Larue Hk-height mount):

The only criticism I have is the mushy reset, which for me makes fast follow up shots harder, the long buttstock (I know,
    its a bullpup design problem, but its hard to use the factory forward grip when wearing a plate carrier or having short arms)
    and that Steyr isn't really listening to users. For example it would be so easy to design a buttstock with a built in brass
    deflector (ala the one from Manticore) or a forward rail that goes further back. A good friend of mine, a real AUG guru, mounts
    the 9mm XS model stock and rail on his AUG to solve both problems. Just wish this was a factory option:

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/mili...ga39mmxs/?L=de

Any AUG NATO stock owners in here?
    #RESIST

I have avoided the NATO stocks, as I am not a fan of adapting guns to magazines they were not designed for.

I have been trying to get a 9mm stock for the shielded ejection port. My pal who is the Austrian Special Forces SME on the AUG runs a tan one on his gun. I heard that BATF is shutting down the 9mm guns for not being "sporting enough". Again.......Steyr and our convoluted import laws, so we may need to ease up on the "Steyr hates you". You get the guns they can get in, and those are based on what they have contracts for. This is why blood sprays out of my eyes every time I hear some idiot talking about how companies like HK and Steyr don't cater to the US civilian population because they are anti 2nd amendment.......... You don't see a lot of US gun companies trying to fix the 68 GCA as their competitors keep getting screwed.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

That rifle is listed as .223. No mention of 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    That rifle is listed as .223. No mention of 5.56.
    Surely they wouldn't build a gun like that only chambered for the commercial .223 remington, if so, that's kinda foolish

They are marked .223 as caliber on the receiver. The barrels are marked as 5.56x45/.223 Rem.

Never had an issue shooting either in mine.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    They are marked .223 as caliber on the receiver. The barrels are marked as 5.56x45/.223 Rem.

Never had an issue shooting either in mine.
    That's what I figured. Online gunshop descriptions are usually notoriously incomplete and/or misleading.

The last AUG I looked at has some threads a few inches aft of the muzzle. Is there an AUG specific suppressor, and if so, is that something one could buy?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    The last AUG I looked at has some threads a few inches aft of the muzzle. Is there an AUG specific suppressor, and if so, is that something one could buy?
    Suppressing them is "interesting". I had Surefire do a custom set up with their older can that extended back over the barrel several inches. We chopped a USR barrel and mounted the adaptor. It was obviously over pressuring the system when I ran it suppressed and then I was getting malfunctions due to spinning the cases in the ejection port with them remaining inside backwards due to such violent extraction. I did not want to damage my gun, so that was the end of my suppressor adventure. I know that Surefire has the ability to make adaptors as needed. The solution to running a suppressor is to either use a can with very little back pressure made for the longer barreled guns. For someone serious, the best bet would beee to get an extra gas plug and have the blank firing setting drilled specifically for the can. I have heard rumor of factory suppressor gas plugs, but have never seen one. The AUG is just one of those guns I wouldn't suppress as there are better platforms if that is a big need.

User Tag List