Page 20 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

I have my Aimpoint all the way to the rear of the rail, like you, to keep from skinning my fingers when working it. As a result no BUIS, which makes me leery about an RMR as a sole aiming system.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have my Aimpoint all the way to the rear of the rail, like you, to keep from skinning my fingers when working it. As a result no BUIS, which makes me leery about an RMR as a sole aiming system.
    Tom just suggested I reverse the optic in the mount so as to put the lever on the right side of the gun. Brilliant!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Largely due to Nyeti's insight I purchased an AUG A3 late last month for use as an HD rifle. I mounted a TLR-1 HL to the side rail with a tape switch attached to the front of the trigger guard. This requires moving my hand off the VFG but with the rifle's balance, using the guard as a substitute VFG is not really that awkward.

If this was going to be a used as a patrol rifle I'd probably find a more conventional setup but this will be used at classes/live under the bed at night.

After shooting it, and cutting my thumb in a most annoying manner, I ordered and installed a Manticore Switchback, which I am very happy with. Locking back the bolt takes zero effort for me and I like how the handle folds neatly out of the way. While it's intended role will probably never require locking back the bolt, it does make administrative handling easier.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Largely due to Nyeti's insight I purchased an AUG A3 late last month for use as an HD rifle. I mounted a TLR-1 HL to the side rail with a tape switch attached to the front of the trigger guard. This requires moving my hand off the VFG but with the rifle's balance, using the guard as a substitute VFG is not really that awkward.

If this was going to be a used as a patrol rifle I'd probably find a more conventional setup but this will be used at classes/live under the bed at night.

After shooting it, and cutting my thumb in a most annoying manner, I ordered and installed a Manticore Switchback, which I am very happy with. Locking back the bolt takes zero effort for me and I like how the handle folds neatly out of the way. While it's intended role will probably never require locking back the bolt, it does make administrative handling easier.

were you operating the charging handle palm-up? thats how you're supposed to do it

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    were you operating the charging handle palm-up? thats how you're supposed to do it
    I realized that all too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    I realized that all too quickly.
    Steyr gives that warning on nearly every page of the manual

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Steyr gives that warning on nearly every page of the manual
    Who needs that!?

But in all seriousness, after my thumb stopped bleeding and I had my PRO sighted in, I was very happy with my purchase. I'm looking forward to running it through some courses this summer. My two most recent purchases are an AUG and a revolver; two unfamiliar firearms (to me!) that I plan on focusing on for a while.

Is there any credible AUG-specific trainers, courses, DVDs, Art of the Dynamic Bullpup, etc out there? I'm starting to get the fever.

Watching Tunisian security guys fielding them on Fox right now...

So I got to looking today. Cdnn seems to only have the nato stock version, and PJ only had the M1 version. I don't think I want either of those.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List