Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

What's the barrel twist to bullet weight formula for these things? Do they like lighter or heavier boooolits?

1 in 9 usually. There are 1 in 7 out there, but they ship with a 1 in 7. The 1 in 9 does really well with everything from 55 grain to up to 69. I reserve my 75 and 77 grain stuff for the AR's. I usually shoot 64 gr. soft points or Gold Dots in mine. What is nice is that with the 1 in 9, it will also run the crappy 55 gr. training ammo pretty well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

My "green" AUG with a 20" barrel posing with my issued Colt Commando with an 11.5 barrel. It has the standard donut sight on it. I used it for prairie dog hunting several years ago and it was very easy getting in and out of the truck with it. My AUG is bone stock. I have a Giles sling on it. No light on it but that's the only thing I've ever considered adding. A railed receiver would be nice.

One big thing about AUGs is they are very clean guns to shoot. If you want to clean the barrel push a button and pull it out.

I never carried an AUG at work but we had four on the team at one point. They found the railed receivers and put Aimpoints on them. They were very fast shooting rifles. Our guys developed an empty gun reload for them. Take the new magazine and use it to push the magazine release to drop the empty mag. Then insert the new magazine. The guys that practiced it had very fast reloads.

You can change which way the brass ejects very easily. One of the guys who carried one was left handed. He had no issues shooting the gun. It was ergonomic for either hand. You're not shooting it off your support shoulder unless you want to catch some brass to the face. I saw a video for support side shooting with the AUG but I never tried it. I've never had an issue with only being able to shoot strong side with the AUG.

I have a 42 round magazine loaded with TRU ballistic tips for the primary magazine and 30 round mags for reloads.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

My "green" AUG with a 20" barrel posing with my issued Colt Commando with an 11.5 barrel. It has the standard donut sight on it. I used it for prairie dog hunting several years ago and it was very easy getting in and out of the truck with it. My AUG is bone stock. I have a Giles sling on it. No light on it but that's the only thing I've ever considered adding. A railed receiver would be nice.

One big thing about AUGs is they are very clean guns to shoot. If you want to clean the barrel push a button and pull it out.

I never carried an AUG at work but we had four on the team at one point. They found the railed receivers and put Aimpoints on them. They were very fast shooting rifles. Our guys developed an empty gun reload for them. Take the new magazine and use it to push the magazine release to drop the empty mag. Then insert the new magazine. The guys that practiced it had very fast reloads.

You can change which way the brass ejects very easily. One of the guys who carried one was left handed. He had no issues shooting the gun. It was ergonomic for either hand. You're not shooting it off your support shoulder unless you want to catch some brass to the face. I saw a video for support side shooting with the AUG but I never tried it. I've never had an issue with only being able to shoot strong side with the AUG.

I have a 42 round magazine loaded with TRU ballistic tips for the primary magazine and 30 round mags for reloads.
    Awesome picture. Thank you!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Now think about that with a 4" shorter barrel. You are looking at the same as running a 7.5 inch barreled AR, but with 16" blast and ballistics vs. the same from a 7.5 (which both SUCK by the way). I'll give up my ability to switch shoulders for that, thanks. Equally, think about the reliability of a 16" piston, and not having to depend on ATF not changing their mind on the SIG brace or a couple of tax stamps.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Wouldn't you have to re-sight in the rifle after that?

What's the sight offset comapred to the AR? it's hard to tell from the photo.

I find the bull pup in general, and the Steyr in particular, to potentially be a real good answer to my personal needs so I'm very interested in this thread.

Site Supporter
    CDNN has the Aug on sale for $1599 with 2 42 rd mags and 3 30 rd mags.
    http://www.cdnnsports.com/aug-a3-223...l#.VHEi1opOLCQ

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Wouldn't you have to re-sight in the rifle after that?

What's the sight offset comapred to the AR? it's hard to tell from the photo.

I find the bull pup in general, and the Steyr in particular, to potentially be a real good answer to my personal needs so I'm very interested in this thread.
    Negative on the resight in. You can remove and reinstall the barrel with no sight change.

Let me give another benefit I found recently besides being super easy to clean on the removable barrel. I was shooting a competition with a bunch of SWAT guys and had been spanking everyone pretty hard. I was on my last target on a run and way ahead of the shooter behind me (you would start shooting after the guy in front of you was on his second target and you try to run them down and tap them out....I was tapping three guys a run) and I got an obvious squib load. Didn't sound right, didn't feel right, didn't hit, and caused a pretty good malfunction. Got the malfunction cleared super fast, got loaded and was just ready to break the shot and my brain said "is winning this worth it?". I held the shot and let the kid behind my win (which was better to have a student in the class win rather than the old fat Aimpoint guy). I was able to pull the barrel, check to ensure that the bullet was not in the barrel by just looking down it, and quickly re-install it. It was actually fast enough that I could have likely done it in the field during a crisis if I had some cover and a little security for a minute. I have learned by seeing other folks guns blow up in their hands that when it does not sound or feel right going off, it pays to stop and check rather than press again at speed.

Cleaning an AUG is a dream compared to just about anything else. Not only the barrel, but also the trigger pack and all the real yuck sitting contained in the piston cylinder.

Offset, similar to the AR, maybe just a bit higher.

The off set on both guns is 2.5-3" LOS to LOB. That's eyeballing it with a rough tape measurement. I'd say both are probably closer to 2.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

The off set on both guns is 2.5-3" LOS to LOB. That's eyeballing it with a rough tape measurement. I'd say both are probably closer to 2.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I remember right.........which is tough these days. It was roughly 2.5" at the optic line and 3" to the iron sights on top of the A1 optic.

User Tag List