Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Funny, you can't go to a store and find one, yet I keep finding them... I generally don't shop for guns in stores much anymore, so it is what it is.

I still have and shoot AR's. I simply prefer the AUG for the role I use a carbine in. Of course, unlike most of the detractors, I have actually run one for real on a neutral playing field....the field. Not in a match or training course set up by AR folks for AR folks. Again, I am totally good with my Snowflake guns, could give a crap if those who have never done a single scary thing with a carbine who want to question my choice. I have deployed both the AR and the AUG in the United States extensively, so it's not like I am basing my decisions on some theory about what works where, I am basing it on actual field work. If that is how we define Special Snowflakes, well I ll just be a Snowflake. The reality is that guys who have actually done versus pontificated from a keyboard are Special Snowflakes on the net.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

So, if the AUG has all of these inherent advantages, does it follow that a Tavor which takes AR magazines, is shootable from either shoulder, and has quality aftermarket trigger superior to an AUG?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    So, if the AUG has all of these inherent advantages, does it follow that a Tavor which takes AR magazines, is shootable from either shoulder, and has quality aftermarket trigger superior to an AUG?

On paper, yes. One thing I've always liked about the AUG was it feels / points very naturally, like a good fitting shotgun. I know feel doesn't always equal performance but the Tavor feels like a 2x4 to me.

Darryl, I think a more reasonable statement would be that:

1) The AUG is rarely found in stores. They are best purchased from a few sources.

2) AUG parts are even rarer, and you best have a stash of parts or back-up guns, as you never know whether Steyr USA is in or out of the game, and the local gun shop is highly unlikely to have parts.

3) The AUG has a different manual of arms than the AR, and unless you are going to standardize on the AUG, you will need to maintain proficiency on two different 5.56 systems.

4) They are a pain in the ass if you have a right and left hand shooter in the same house/team.

5) Despite being expensive, rare and different -- they fill a niche like nothing else, and for someone that appreciates cool, different stuff, and a, compact in size, carbine with a non NFA length, they are the cat's meow!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Would agree with all of the above George. As far as the Tavor....my Uzi lovin Jew side says yes, but I am not willing to invest the time. Right now I have one preferred system that I have to know professionally, one I prefer personally, and several I know just from the instructional/knowledge base standpoint. I need one more like a hole in the head. Not against them, and I know a few folks with time on them that love the things.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Not sure if its on topic or not but I'd love to hear some AUG vs Tavor debate. I've always been fascinated by the AUG. I was very focused on pistols when the Tavor hit the market and missed/ignored much of the discussion.

I may need to get out more, but I don't know a single person with a Tavor. Anyone here have one and care to comment?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Dunno, but I handled both today, and while I was underwhelmed with both, handling-wise, the Tavor was particularly unimpressive because it looked and felt like a high-end water gun or AirSoft thing. Lots of plastic… CHEAP-feeling plastic, at that.

True enough, the ergos on the Tavor are "better"; the safety is conventional, the charging handle is easier to lock the bolt back, etc. But good grief, it looks and feels like a cheap POS. It may be the greatest combat rifle ever to come down the pike… but it looks and feels like a cheap POS.

The AUG surprised me with the weight; heavier than I envisioned. It has a lot of plastic too, but it looked and felt more refined. This was an A3 model. I have no doubt that, given some time and reps, I would learn to like the feel of the AUG. However, with three Colts, 30+ years of experience on that "platform", and a plethora of support gear to hand, its a bit difficult to drop close to two grand (by the time I pay fees and extra magazines) on a completely different system that I may, or may not, learn to like.

So, my ardor for an AUG has cooled.

While to me, "field use" means military field conditions, I have met and trained with folks issued AUGs in severe field conditions (Omani paratroopers) that spoke glowingly of the rifle.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    While to me, "field use" means military field conditions, I have met and trained with folks issued AUGs in severe field conditions (Omani paratroopers) that spoke glowingly of the rifle.
    My military folks who have used them are the main reason I got into them. My field use is in the United States doing several different things. While the Helo stuff is a weird use that has little relevance to anyone, the amount of time that I used one during private sector high threat protection, is very much like what many people would likely face if using them as an armed citizen. This included domestic residence protection (very high level of threat....enough that I had the AUG on my body every minute I was there for an extended period), and actually having an attempt made to take down our witnesses on a vehicle convoy during a witness protection detail. I spent a couple years pretty much carrying an AUG while working in the private sector that convinced me of its viability, even with its negatives.

User Tag List