Page 84 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Soooooooo waiting for that...tempted to just buy a new AUG for that, but if the SBR paperwork on my current AUG comes through I'll just keep my current AUG and set up a separate NATO stock specifically for 300 - unless they come out with 300blk specific waffle mags, or 300blk AUG pmags.

A 14.5" 300blk barrel + can should be super duper extra quiet with 300blk subs...and shorter than my 9" 300blk AR SBR + can, to boot.

It might not be quieter at the ear though since the action is directly under my ear in the first place...but the noise will be the action and not the shot report.

And CRAP! I just realized...my NATO AUG stock that I bought in the early 2ks (when they were rare as hen's teeth) still has the hump on it. It was for A1s and A2s - not A3s. I need to either grind the hump off, or buy a new stock...

Name:  IMG_2464.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  100.5 KB

That hump there on the bottom stock - it does fit on my A3M1 above in the photo because it doesn't have a top rail; it has the AUG SF scope on it, which doesn't interfere with the stock. However, if you have a top rail on the gun, or have an A3 or A3M1 in factory config..if you look at your stock, you'll see the hump that's circled on the black stock has been ground off. Newer stocks come that way with the hump ground off; my older stock pre-dates AUGs being manufactured in a config that would interfere with it.

I mean I could use it with the A3M1 above, but that depends on me forever using that SF optic..

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Well, damn. I'll be waving goodbye to my shooting budget as I sail right past it.

I should know by now how full of enablers this place is.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Oof...side rail receiver threads are kind of iffy.

(copy-pasted from my post on arfcom)

...the holes strip out really easily

My receiver is on it's way back to Steyr for some fixing. I got a Steiner DBAL D2 in, and wanted to see how it'd work with the AUG.

I had removed the side rail on the AUG SF optic earlier, and replaced the receiver side rail with https://www.silverstarshootingsports...ver-rail-black - a 90 degree side rail. The D2 fit on it, but man was the laser a ways off the bore in that config...I wanted to see if I could get it closer. So I took the 90 degree side rail off, and put the side scope rail back on - it WOULD work...if there were room for the throw lever. I couldn't actually get the thing onto the rail the way the throw lever is set up; the receiver was just in the way on the bottom, so...figured I'd see if it would work with the standard factory receiver side rail. I was able to thread in the rear screw, and either I crossthreaded the front screw or the threads just gave out, because the screw never even got snug...it just kept going and going and going. I wasn't aiming for anything beyond snug at this point; I wanted to see if it would fit before I broke out the torque wrench to do any actual tightening. Sigh.

So, for those of you who took off your receiver side rail, or are contemplating it - be careful with threading it back on; clean the threads on both the screw and in the receiver, make sure it's not crossthreaded, and proceed with caution when you screw it back in...

Having said that - with the A3SF scope and the Aimpoint on top, passive NV aiming is actually really nice - the Aimpoint is high enough up so NODs don't get interfered with. However, active, with illuminators and designators...gotta mount the unit(s) somehow. I'm thinking it might be better to eschew the factory optics, and just use standard top rails, and festoon that with your various optic and light/laser choices. The small side rail is great for a white light (or vampire light), while mounting a DBAL or similar unit at the front of the top rail would probably be best. Then it just becomes an issue of how to mount activation switches, and where..

And yay, just got a call from Herbert @ Steyr, they fixed things up and it's on the way back to me.

I need that .300BO AUG.
    #RESIST

Some news:

More details on the AUG, but in German:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Name:  IMG_2008.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  24.4 KBName:  IMG_2013.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  44.4 KBName:  IMG_2172.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  31.8 KB
    My house find. Mint, stuck in a time capsule STG77, March 1990 date code, Steyr AUG. came with original box and paperwork, GSI import box and paperwork from the late 80’s before they closed their doors after Federal Legal battle, 4-42 round mags, 4-30 round mags and all the fixins. The original owner had purchased the weapon, gotten sick and died. I don’t think it was ever shot. I had two former LEO colleagues that carried 90’s select fire AUG’s their entire career. I had shot them and always thought they were an odd duck. It wasn’t until I broke it down, I was immediately impressed with the simplicity of the firearm.4-days of watching videos and reading about the AUG and I am in a position of being convinced that it has clear advantages, even today, over many current self defense platforms. I’ve come from a place of I would never purchase one, to wanting a more current one in addition to this awesome piece, so I can add a T2 and modern white light. Incredible firearm, especially given the era it was conceptualized. 16” barrel next to my SBS Benelli and it’s still shorted… my MP5K, slightly out of photo, is shorter, but with a 5-ish Barrel. Incredible. I carry a 10.5 M16 at work, don’t see this changing.. but the AUG is more balanced and has some big advantages over the stoner design. Handicaps as well. Cheers…
    Last edited by sabre675; 11-11-2023 at 07:33 AM.

Long but worth it.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List