Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Typically, the ~1.54" mounts are labeled as absolute. The problem is that there's not an actual standard for each height, so there are plenty of companies besides Scalarworks that also go with the ~1.4" height as absolute, such as Geissele, Bobro, etc., and say that ~1.54" is lower 1/3rd.
    I find 1.7 to be an ideal height on ARs but hardly anyone makes it.

I like tall mounts for shooting up right but for anything realistic in a real gun fight with a rifle (kneeling, awkward positions, prone, etc) I find them lacking and to expose my face and head too much
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 03-14-2024 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    IIRC, AUGs work best with HK height sights rather than AR height sights.

Somewhere waaaaay up this thread, I asked DB about that and I believe HK height was his answer. This is several years ago, as in pre-covid.
    This is no longer true.

Back in the day, the initial A3's had the 'military high rail' which needed shorter sights due to the height of the rail relative to the stock:

This is no longer the case. The current A3M1 rail to stock height is basically identical in height to the AR15 rail relative to a fixed stock.

Likewise, due to the sideways gas piston, the AUG has ~ same height over bore as the AR15; much less HOB then other piston rifles like the SCAR or Tavor.

So just run your normal AR optics and ballistic calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    This is no longer true.

Back in the day, the initial A3's had the 'military high rail' which needed shorter sights due to the height of the rail relative to the stock:

This is no longer the case. The current A3M1 rail to stock height is basically identical in height to the AR15 rail relative to a fixed stock.

Likewise, due to the sideways gas piston, the AUG has ~ same height over bore as the AR15; much less HOB then other piston rifles like the SCAR or Tavor.

So just run your normal AR optics and ballistic calculations.
    Thank you, I didn't know that.

It looks like the A3 M2 version will again require smaller sights, right?

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Thank you, I didn't know that.

It looks like the A3 M2 version will again require smaller sights, right?
    Sort of.

If you were running strictly irons, shorter sights might make sense.

But if talking Irons + RDS, its the height of the RDS that dictates whether the sights are cowitness or 1/3; the height of the rail has no effect on the RDS/Irons height relationship.

Where that tall rail will be a bummer I think is with a ACOG w/ Piggy back RMR; hopefully they mill an integral ACOG mount groove into the rail like Corvus does to allow lower mounting.

I'm slowly working my way through this thread, I've long been interested in bullpups.

Wondering what the short list of cons of the AUG platform are beyond limitations of bullpup trigggers?

Site Supporter

Let's talk about the AUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I'm slowly working my way through this thread, I've long been interested in bullpups.

Wondering what the short list of cons of the AUG platform are beyond limitations of bullpup trigggers?
    It’s kind of expensive. It sucks for ambi use, like switching shoulders on the fly or handing it off to a lefty. It’s hard to mount anything other than a sling, optic, and light, and the light and sling placement is very limited. If you want to shoot it suppressed, you have to get a special gas plug. The barrel has some weird Euro thread pattern that limits muzzle attachment options. Spare parts are expensive and can be hard to get. Mag changes are slower. It’s harder to shoot fast splits well, not just because of the trigger but also because of the recoil impulse.

Those are the cons I’ve discovered, but to me the pros make it worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter

Let's talk about the AUG.

Duplicate

The primary con is that even brief exposure to the AUG can result in the patient developing AUGtism, an incurable disease that causes the sufferer to spend unlimited amounts of money on ever more arcane aug accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    It’s kind of expensive. It sucks for ambi use, like switching shoulders on the fly or handing it off to a lefty. It’s hard to mount anything other than a sling, optic, and light, and the light and sling placement is very limited. If you want to shoot it suppressed, you have to get a special gas plug. The barrel has some weird Euro thread pattern that limits muzzle attachment options. Spare parts are expensive and can be hard to get. Mag changes are slower. It’s harder to shoot fast splits well, not just because of the trigger but also because of the recoil impulse.

Those are the cons I’ve discovered, but to me the pros make it worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Current production AUGs come with standard barrel threads for U.S. You don't have to get the suppressor gas plug. However, it is recommended.

owned one for a decade, and this is just my list

-gas in the face, true for every bullpup, they are certainly no worse than others
    -I could never get the hang of using the vertical foregrip
    -hard to place a tape switch for a light, which I prefer on long guns
    -I had the A3 nato version that took standard AR mags, big mistake, it alters the trigger bar mechanism and all the trigger fixes like the tamer, ratworx sear, etc. that work on standard aug mag versions will not work correctly
    -took a torch to burn off the thread locker on the flash hider (I know, no big deal to some)
    -I could only find 1/9 twist barrels during my ownership of the rifle, I like heaver bullets but mine would not stabilize 75 or 77gr bullets well
    -to get my head/eyes in the right place the scope mount had to be very high, leading to a bigger offset calculation, that was a different hold POA than all my AR platforms, just the solution I ended up with at least, I hated remembering a different holdover for one rifle...

It is a solid rifle. I would trust one completely, but ergos are very different from conventional AR type rifles. I had ergonomic and gas to the face complaints about the Tavor and the Bushmaster Edenpine bullpups I owned, although they ran well, they had even more issues for me than the AUG. If I were forced to pick a bullpup the AUG would be the least problematic for me.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

User Tag List