Page 80 of 89 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Somehow I missed this? I have an original "commando" AUG barrel from when they were first (?) imported in the early 2000s...actually I had two; one green one black. Sold the green one...kept the black one, which was good since not long after I sold the green one, Steyr introduced the A3, in black...so yay. Problem is Steyr only imported a few hundred...so it's too valuable to actually use.

It would be nice to get a useable copy of one that I can actually SBR the gun with...so, ordered. I also need to figure out a decent muzzle device and can; the only two .223 cans I have are an old M4-2000 and an even older Griffin M4SD-II...it deserves something a little more "up to date".

Maybe I should just get a Dead Air Sandman-S and use that for 5.56...
    You’re gonna want some thing with lower back pressure than either of those two cans.

I’m settling on the HUX WRX Flow 556k as the can to use with the AUG. That said, I love my Midwest Industries rail. Will I need the extended length muzzle device to clear it? Name:  IMG_5307.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  99.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’m settling on the HUX WRX Flow 556k as the can to use with the AUG. That said, I love my Midwest Industries rail. Will I need the extended length muzzle device to clear it? Name:  IMG_5307.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  99.6 KB
    If the can does NOT go past the muzzle device, then maybe not...the muzzle threads end roughly where the wrench flat ends on the lock nut I think, on the photo you posted. Though if you want to be sure, you'll need to take the muzzle device off and see for yourself where the threads end...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You’re gonna want some thing with lower back pressure than either of those two cans.
    With the suppressor gas plug, the M42K seems to run just fine without massive overgassing. Hell the whole reason I bought the AAC was that at the time, it was one of the lowest backpressure cans sold...the other lower pressure can being the Surefire SOCOM series which was just about unobtanium at the time.

And V1 Tactical just shipped the barrel! Yay! If anyone wants any comparisons between the new one and the original vintage factory Commando barrel I have, I'll see if I can get a bunch of side-by-side photos of them; markings, etc. I guess I don't have an excuse to not SBR the AUG now..

Site Supporter
    With the suppressor gas plug, the M42K seems to run just fine without massive overgassing. Hell the whole reason I bought the AAC was that at the time, it was one of the lowest backpressure cans sold...the other lower pressure can being the Surefire SOCOM series which was just about unobtanium at the time.
    We issue M4 2000s at work. I’m familiar with them.

It may have been low back pressure by the standards of 15 or 20 years ago but not by today’s standards.

If the can does NOT go past the muzzle device, then maybe not...the muzzle threads end roughly where the wrench flat ends on the lock nut I think, on the photo you posted. Though if you want to be sure, you'll need to take the muzzle device off and see for yourself where the threads end...
    Thanks. Yea, I need to do some more research. I was hoping someone here had already tried it, and I keep seeing Hux Wrx posting videos on social media of their can on an AUG. I may email the company. I'm also a little worried that my lower rail may be an issue.

Trying to figure out which bbl my AUG has. Looking at the muzzle device (and this link) makes me think it's a 13x1 thread.
    https://tnsteyr.wordpress.com/2022/0...ips-styer-aug/

But I've seen people post that the M1A3 rifles are 1/2x28. I don't suppose it's actually written or stamped anywhere is it?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Trying to figure out which bbl my AUG has. Looking at the muzzle device (and this link) makes me think it's a 13x1 thread.
    https://tnsteyr.wordpress.com/2022/0...ips-styer-aug/

But I've seen people post that the M1A3 rifles are 1/2x28. I don't suppose it's actually written or stamped anywhere is it?
    I too think it's 13xL judging by the photo of your rifle. My 2021 purchase date AUG had 1/2 X 28. Try calling Steyr with your serial number, they might know it as well.

Steyr has 20” barrels back in stock.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List