Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3878868788

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I'm slowly working my way through this thread, I've long been interested in bullpups.

Wondering what the short list of cons of the AUG platform are beyond limitations of bullpup trigggers?
    In addition to other complaints: Field carry in the non-dominant hand, or carrying/moving the gun without grabbing the the pistol grip kinda sucks or might lead to fingers/hand near the trigger.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I'm slowly working my way through this thread, I've long been interested in bullpups.

Wondering what the short list of cons of the AUG platform are beyond limitations of bullpup trigggers?
    Reloads aren't super lightning-AR-fast, weak hand shooting gas to the face.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter

First shots fired

I sent the first rounds down range from my new AUG this morning. Some initial thoughts:

1. This rifle is incredibly compact - 28" with ASR flash hider and 31.5" with Saker 556K suppressor.

2. Removing the OEM flash hider requires a liberal application of heat via propane torch.

3. The trigger measures 8 lbs 0.2 oz and is long. I will investigate the Steyr spring kit.

4. I test fired using some Speer Lawman 55 grain FMJ. It ran at 3053 FPS and shot into 1.71 MOA for 11 shots. I will test some 75 and 77 grain loads next.

5. I'm leaning toward the Delta Stryker 1-6X24. It seems like a good match for this little rifle.

All in all, I'm liking it.

Site Supporter

Chrono data

Here are some results from this weekend. All factory ammo. 10 shot groups. + 35 to +45 degrees F.

Speer Lawman 55 grain MV 3053

Hornady TAP 55 grain MV 2965

Fed M193 55 grain FMJ MV 2911

Creedmoor Sports 77 grain TMK MV 2638

Fed GMM 77 grain MV 2380

IMI 77 grain OTM MV 2735

Name:  20240330_142013.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  20240330_141934.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  26.3 KB

Of all the bullpups I've seen, the AUG is the only one that I like the looks of, and have been contemplating purchasing.
    I was at a shop yesterday that had one on the wall.

Bad news - with my T-rex wingspan, my shooting arm was nearly at full extension when I shouldered it. Might even be unusable with body armor or a heavy coat.

Good news - I just saved $2000, and it appears I can get into an SBR'd AR in 6.5 for much less, including the tax stamp.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Reloads aren't super lightning-AR-fast, weak hand shooting gas to the face.
    There a technique to reloading where you grab the new mag, use it to press the mag release, and insert as the old mag drops. I worked with a couple guys who’d carried them for years. They had pretty fast reloads.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter

The NEW Steyr AUG is Here! The AUG A3 M2 is in the USA

The NEW Steyr AUG is Here!@JamesReeves accidentally gives Steyr's next-gen AUG its official name in this video! James speaks with Brian Marshall of the Steyr Academy about the upcoming Steyr AUG A3 M2. The Steyr AUG A3 M2 has already been released in Europe, but it's coming to the US. The main differences here involve changes to the receiver that allow for a longer optic rail and a quick-disconnect and modular handguard design. The new upper receiver that accommodates the handguard and redesigned optic rail is new, but it is 100% compatible with AUG A3 M1 stock grups/lower receiver that allow for a longer optic rail and a quick-disconnect and modular handguard design. The new upper receiver that accommodates the handguard and redesigned optic rail is new, but it is 100% compatible with AUG A3 M1 stock grups/lower receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

The NEW Steyr AUG is Here! The AUG A3 M2 is in the USA

You mean gas cutting your support hand when you do something stupid wasn’t a feature?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

While James Reeves seems like the douchiest of douches and i generally can't stand his videos - from what i could muster through, the new Aug looks great to me. It's hard for me to sell non ar's to myself when i handle them, as the ar pattern has controls in all the right places (or i'm just used to them) but i would still like to handle one of these and prove myself wrong.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter

Size Comparison w 16" SIG MCX

I'm still so new to the AUG that I don't know what I don't know. One thing that I do know is that it's a compact package. Here it is standing next to a 16" SIG MCX.

Name:  20240414_105040.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  42.9 KB

User Tag List