Page 59 of 89 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Random thoughts:

1. As a youngin, the AUG was my favorite rifle.
    2. I always liked the concept of a bull pup.
    3. In my later years, I trained myself to shoot long arms left handed due to my extreme left eye dominance.
    4. I began shooting team 3 gun matches.
    5. The thought of a traditional bull pup became far less appealing due to ejection. Sure I know you can convert it, but for sharing a weapon, it becomes problematic.
    6. The FS2000 had a unique idea for solving ambi bull pup ejection issues. Doesn’t seem to have caught on. Were there issues?

Even considering the above, I still think I should get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Random thoughts:

1. As a youngin, the AUG was my favorite rifle.
    2. I always liked the concept of a bull pup.
    3. In my later years, I trained myself to shoot long arms left handed due to my extreme left eye dominance.
    4. I began shooting team 3 gun matches.
    5. The thought of a traditional bull pup became far less appealing due to ejection. Sure I know you can convert it, but for sharing a weapon, it becomes problematic.
    6. The FS2000 had a unique idea for solving ambi bull pup ejection issues. Doesn’t seem to have caught on. Were there issues?

Even considering the above, I still think I should get one.
    If the only real issue for you is the ejection, you can modify an AUG to eject from the left side. I think it just takes a left handed bolt. You could also buy the Corvus case deflector.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Not with ejection. There's a bunch of videos on Youtube that demonstrate the ejection chute's viability. I think the InRange channel actually has a video where they pour mud down the chute, and it still works fine.

Its lack of success is because of other issues. Namely, its garbage integrated optic that loses zero whenever you take off the cover to clean/maintenance the gun, and the rubber-sealed magwell fitted specifically for USGI aluminum mags and won't work with other mags at a time when organizations were trying out new types of mags of various materials and profiles from multiple manufacturers. You could essentially chalk it up to bad timing. The gun came out when organizations started going down the COTS-modularity route instead of wanting one-off integrated systems...by the time they addressed these issues to a degree (like adding 1913 rails with odd ergonomics), they had already released the SCAR which was a better gun in every way. If it had been released in the 70s or 80s, it likely would have been much more successful.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I've always liked the AUG, it goes back to "Die Hard" for me too. The only issue I've heard of is that when a bullpup, any bullpup, goes down it goes down hard. Yesterday at our monthly 2 gun match a fellow competitor had an AUG which I was admiring until it went down. For 15 minutes the owner struggled to get the live cartridge out, once out he couldn't get it together again. Something had gone wrong and I'll probably never find out what it was.
    There were lots of heavily modified AR's and plenty of mostly milspec ones like mine, even a M1 Garand. But none of them went down. I still like the AUG but it is something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    I've always liked the AUG, it goes back to "Die Hard" for me too. The only issue I've heard of is that when a bullpup, any bullpup, goes down it goes down hard. Yesterday at our monthly 2 gun match a fellow competitor had an AUG which I was admiring until it went down. For 15 minutes the owner struggled to get the live cartridge out, once out he couldn't get it together again. Something had gone wrong and I'll probably never find out what it was.
    There were lots of heavily modified AR's and plenty of mostly milspec ones like mine, even a M1 Garand. But none of them went down. I still like the AUG but it is something to consider.
    In these situations, ammo could be a culprit. Especially if the shooter was using reloads. I had stuck cases in my AUG, and mortaring it solved the issue. My first AUG came with a 1/7 barrel and didn't like cheap steel case stuff, especially when dirty. My current AUG, with a recent production barrel tolerates cheap ammo better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    In these situations, ammo could be a culprit. Especially if the shooter was using reloads. I had stuck cases in my AUG, and mortaring it solved the issue. My first AUG came with a 1/7 barrel and didn't like cheap steel case stuff, especially when dirty. My current AUG, with a recent production barrel tolerates cheap ammo better.
    When you say cheap are you talking steel cased?

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    When you say cheap are you talking steel cased?
    Yes, steel cased ammo.

Any advice on where to get the suppressor gas plug.
    Can't find any online, and emailed Styer without a response.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Any advice on where to get the suppressor gas plug.
    Can't find any online, and emailed Styer without a response.

Thanks
    If you get a flow-through can (HUXWRX, B&T RBS, LaRue Tranquilo, etc.) is the plug still necessary?
    Last edited by El Cid; 06-08-2022 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If you get a flow-through can (HUXWRX, B&T RBS, LaRue Tranquilo, etc.) is the plug still necessary?

I've wondered the same thing myself.

No experience with those types of suppressors.

User Tag List