Page 73 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I read something that Augs are not drop safe, especially if they land on the butt of the rifle. Is that correct? Not claiming it be but ran across it in a thread about the trigger.
    AUGs are drop safe - the drop safety mechanism is in the trigger pack.

Sone idiot on AFCOM started the “AUG not drop safe bullshit” because the inertia safety was not getting tripled after a 4 to 6 INCH drop on carpet.

People who start s**t like this are like the people who keep asking ATF questions that I’ve already been answered.

Best explanation of the AUG drop safety I’ve seen:

The drop safety is inertia based. You most likely need to drop the rifle from a higher level to get enough energy to activate the drop safety.

If you take your hammer pack out, you will see the hammer in a cocked position. The "Slide" and the "Disconnector Lever" both capture the hammer.

Pull rearward on the top of the slide and the hammer will release.

The "Drop Safety" is on the left side of the triggerpack. By manipulating the drop safety by hand, you can see the notch that aligns with the slide.

Try to manipulate the drop safety while simultaneously pulling back on the slide or disconnector. At a certain point, the hammer will not release, this is where the drop safety is engaged.

To get to that point where the drop safety actually functions, you are going to need a lot more energy than a 4-6" drop on carpet. I think most official drop tests are done at 1 meter or so.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    AUGs are drop safe - the drop safety mechanism is in the trigger pack.

Sone idiot on AFCOM started the “AUG not drop safe bullshit” because the inertia safety was not getting tripled after a 4 to 6 INCH drop on carpet.

People who start s**t like this are like the people who keep asking ATF questions that I’ve already been answered.

Best explanation of the AUG drop safety I’ve seen:
    Awesome post. I was almost sure I was gonna do an x95, still will probably. The aug just really interests me. Probably too much call of duty and seeing aussies during training one time...

Site Supporter
    Awesome post. I was almost sure I was gonna do an x95, still will probably. The aug just really interests me. Probably too much call of duty and seeing aussies during training one time...
    I’m on my 3rd AUG. It’s my favorite non AR 556 and the only bull pup I actually like.

I’m on my 3rd AUG. It’s my favorite non AR 556 and the only bull pup I actually like.
    Factory triggers better than before or would an after market purchase be part of my future?

Site Supporter
    Factory triggers better than before or would an after market purchase be part of my future?
    Current one is nicer - it’s like the stock glock trigger of rifles.

But after 26 years of running double action pistols in stock, AR triggers, it doesn’t bother me.

Steyr has a factory trigger pack spring upgrade kit for $50.https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/aug-tr...ng-upgrade-kit

Site Supporter
    The AUG trigger will never be awesome by AR standards, but if you can live with a Glock trigger, it’s no big deal. And it can be easily improved a bit. Just even installing this Steyr factory trigger pack spring upgrade kit noticeably improves the trigger and also reduces the effort needed to work the charging handle:

https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/aug-tr...ng-upgrade-kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is also a product I use called the Trigger Tamer, which substitutes a part for one in the AUG's trigger pack and is relatively easy to install: https://triggertamer.com/

I have an AUG and a X95. I like both, but the AUG has something extra about it which is probably all in my head because I wanted one since before the ‘94 ban. I set mine up with the reissued classic optic, whereas my X95 is in a more modern configuration with a RDS.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Current one is nicer - it’s like the stock glock trigger of rifles.

But after 26 years of running double action pistols in stock, AR triggers, it doesn’t bother me.

Steyr has a factory trigger pack spring upgrade kit for $50.https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/aug-tr...ng-upgrade-kit
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    The AUG trigger will never be awesome by AR standards, but if you can live with a Glock trigger, it’s no big deal. And it can be easily improved a bit. Just even installing this Steyr factory trigger pack spring upgrade kit noticeably improves the trigger and also reduces the effort needed to work the charging handle:

https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/aug-tr...ng-upgrade-kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    There is also a product I use called the Trigger Tamer, which substitutes a part for one in the AUG's trigger pack and is relatively easy to install: https://triggertamer.com/
    Two other products, both of which I've used - "Neu-Trigger" for the AUG...it's a little expensive for what it is, but it's dirt cheap for what it does, if that makes any sense. I used one of those up until a year or two ago...inexpensive and easily reversable. It basically wraps the part of the sear that the hammer contacts with a metal foil, which slicks it right up.

...or was...some quick googling says Neu-Trigger is no more

The other one is the Ratworkx 2020 sear, which is what I recently installed on my AUG (about a year ago) and it's a whole new world. No, it's not Geiselle or LaRue AR trigger good, but it's so much better than the factory AUG trigger that you'd wonder if they're even using any of the same parts. It's a sear replacement which is easier to do than it sounds.

Downside, it's expensive. Upside, you'll never need to buy another one..

Site Supporter
    For those in the market, PSA has the White stock version of the AUG A3 M1 on clearance for $1599.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/stey...hinatoext.html

User Tag List