Page 28 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    standard AUG or go with a NATO stock AUG? ...magazine capability would be nice.
    FWIW, I bought the newest (at the time) factory NATO stock version NIB in early 2015, I don't have a log for the gun, but at least 1500+ rounds down range and never an issue wrt reliability, but I did find some types of polymer mags did not fit or lock in well. The bulk of my magazine stockpile are standard aluminum 30 round AR types, and it seems to get along fine with all of those and I quit trying the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    These pictures and what I have gleamed from the pages in this topic has my attention for a travel gun, which for me is something more compact than one of my AR's and that can be deployed in tight spaces (vehicles) without prior assemble. Couple of questions though:

Do you have a light on the AUG in your picture? For a right hander, where would you put one, on the right side rail and use a tape switch?

Does your left thumb (non-dominant) ever get burned by touching the barrel or gas piston tube protruding over the barrel?

If you could hit the re-do button and not have gone down the SBR money pit, would you stay with the standard AUG or go with a NATO stock AUG? I ask this question as I have a substantial amount of AR type magazines, as well as a sizable amount of AR's. If I bought an AUG, magazine capability would be nice.
    I added a Surefire Scout M300 to the angled right side rail, no tape switch (I hate tape switches).
    Indexed trigger finger momentary activates light for search, see target, finger clicks light on continuous, finger disengages safety, shoot, finger comes off trigger, thumb pushes safety on, indexed trigger finger turns light off.
    Zero chance of screwing up and squeezing the trigger instead of the light switch, no flaky shorted out tape switches, no tape switch wires hanging on stuff or melting.

Never had an issue with anything contacting hot parts on the AUG. I burn myself more often on the hot front sight tower of a carbine length AR.

Standard AUG hands down.
    The Steyr mags are awesome, especially the 42 rounders. Some of the best polymer magazines I've handled (right up there with my H&K MR762 mags).
    If you're so inclined, Magpul is now making AUG mags.
    The NATO stock doesn't have an external bolt release, you have to run the charging handle on reloads.
    Last edited by JodyH; 08-26-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thanks Jody, that helps a lot.

Let's talk about the AUG.

Has anyone heard from pj when the anniversary guns are shipping? I have a friend who has one on order, need to get him down here so I can shoot it.
    Last edited by JAD; 08-26-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Saw this pic on Trijicon's bookface page (not sure how to link it?). Figured you guys would appreciate it, looks like a perfect AUG application. After all that is an Alliance OH PD guy, probably well trained at Hawaii of the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if someone was going to buy an AUG today, what model would they get? Steyr optic or rail, what is this future ACOG thing for the AUG?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Saw this pic on Trijicon's bookface page (not sure how to link it?). Figured you guys would appreciate it, looks like a perfect AUG application. After all that is an Alliance OH PD guy, probably well trained at Hawaii of the Midwest.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn't get the "Hawaii of Midwest" expression (interested to hear if you are so inclined), but of course he is well trained. He also has a 1911 which automatically equates to skill even in the absence of training.
    Last edited by Willard; 08-26-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Didn't get the "Hawaii of Midwest" expression (interested to hear if you are so inclined), but of course he is well trained. He also has a 1911 which automatically equates to skill even in the absence of training.

The late, great Pat Rogers referred to Alliance PD training facility as "Hawaii of the Midwest." Alliance Training facility = Mecca for quality training.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    The late, great Pat Rogers referred to Alliance PD training facility as "Hawaii of the Midwest." Alliance Training facility = Mecca for quality training.
    Thanks. Sounds like a switched on agency.

User Tag List