Page 86 of 89 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Site Supporter

Thanks!

The notion of a grenade launcher or bayonet is intriguing but, probably not of much use here in the Big Empty.

Have any of you experimented with 75 - 77 grain bullets? I'm thinking given the 1/9 twist that 55 or 62 may fly better.

I'm looking at the Trijicon Credo HX 1-6x24 or the Delta Stryker 1-6x24 unless someone has a better idea. Shots around here could range out to 600 yards. One never knows.

Suggestions for a 30 mm QD mount? I've used Midwest Industries previously but, it's been a couple years.

Thanks again!

Site Supporter
    I picked up a used A3M1 a week or so ago, painted by previous owner. I pulled the RT-6 off an AR for now to have an optic on it, may go with something else in the future.

Name:  20240229_205917.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  100.0 KB

I didn't like the 1.5" height of the Larue mount, trying some 1.25" rings now (and just ordered a 1.4" mount to try). Swapped the Gearhead Works charging handle for a Manticore (better angle, doesn't fold against the receiver/rail when locked open), and added the Corvis Defensio forward rail...an expensive solution for mounting a light, should have just ordered the Pup Light mount. I tried it suppressed with my KGM R-556 can, but even with the suppressor plug I was getting alot more gas on the face than I want. I also rounded the edges on the safety with a file/sandpaper.

Name:  20240312_193331copy.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  95.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Suggestions for a 30 mm QD mount? I've used Midwest Industries previously but, it's been a couple years.
    The issue I found with the Larue QD mount is that the levers interfere with operating the charging handle. I was able to find a sweet-spot where my finger would land between the levers when manipulating the handle, but it placed the rings where I couldn't get proper eye relief. I decided that since I won't be mounting back-up irons, having QD isn't a requirement for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I didn't like the 1.5" height of the Larue mount, trying some 1.25" rings now (and just ordered a 1.4" mount to try).
    IIRC, AUGs work best with HK height sights rather than AR height sights.

Somewhere waaaaay up this thread, I asked DB about that and I believe HK height was his answer. This is several years ago, as in pre-covid.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter

What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    IIRC, AUGs work best with HK height sights rather than AR height sights.

Somewhere waaaaay up this thread, I asked DB about that and I believe HK height was his answer. This is several years ago, as in pre-covid.
    So, what is that in inches?

Scalarworks offers a 1.42 Aimpoint micro mount, which I believe is for the HK416 and AUG.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't know as most sites selling the sights just wrote HK or AR in the description.

I will assume that GJM is correct.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Scalarworks offers a 1.42 Aimpoint micro mount, which I believe is for the HK416 and AUG.
    I believe 1.42” is absolute cowitness height for a standard AR.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I believe 1.42” is absolute cowitness height for a standard AR.
    1.54” is absolute co-witness for a standard AR.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    1.54” is absolute co-witness for a standard AR.
    I’m pretty sure the 1.54”-1.57” optic heights are around lower 1/3 co-witness. I’ve used the 1.42” Scalarworks Micro mount and it delivered absolute co-witness with two different types of Magpul BUIS. The Larue Micro mount that’s meant for HK height is also noticeable shorter than the Scalarworks 1.42” mount.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m pretty sure the 1.54”-1.57” optic heights are around lower 1/3 co-witness. I’ve used the 1.42” Scalarworks Micro mount and it delivered absolute co-witness with two different types of Magpul BUIS. The Larue Micro mount that’s meant for HK height is also noticeable shorter than the Scalarworks 1.42” mount.
    Typically, the ~1.54" mounts are labeled as absolute. The problem is that there's not an actual standard for each height, so there are plenty of companies besides Scalarworks that also go with the ~1.4" height as absolute, such as Geissele, Bobro, etc., and say that ~1.54" is lower 1/3rd. LaRue has their absolute cowitness at 1.40", but their lower 1/3rd at 1.64".

In terms of HK416 height, FWIW, the LaRue LT660HK is 1.31", and is suppose to give a lower 1/3rd cowitness for the HK416 according to LaRue.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-14-2024 at 08:50 AM.

User Tag List