Page 81 of 89 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Steyr has 20” barrels back in stock.
    I've never messed with quick change barrels before. How bad of a POI shift does one usually see going from the AUG 16" to the 20"?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I've never messed with quick change barrels before. How bad of a POI shift does one usually see going from the AUG 16" to the 20"?
    Depends on the barrel - on mine, it was a straight up 4" vertical drop at 100 yards - but it was %100 repeatable. You could spend all day yanking barrels and shooting 5 rounds through it before yanking and replacing, and the change would always be the same. I would expect some barrels would go up in POI, some might drift horizontally, etc.

It will probably move a bit, but it should always be predictable once you've doped it out.

If you're wealthy, you could probably earmark an optic for a 16" barrel, and then just swap optics and barrels to go to a 20" and keep zeros that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Depends on the barrel - on mine, it was a straight up 4" vertical drop at 100 yards - but it was %100 repeatable. You could spend all day yanking barrels and shooting 5 rounds through it before yanking and replacing, and the change would always be the same. I would expect some barrels would go up in POI, some might drift horizontally, etc.

It will probably move a bit, but it should always be predictable once you've doped it out.

If you're wealthy, you could probably earmark an optic for a 16" barrel, and then just swap optics and barrels to go to a 20" and keep zeros that way...
    That’s super impressive. Thanks! And while I’m not rich. I could see a QD mount and LPVO being paired with a 20” bbl.

Sadly (?) I got one of the "correct" Austrian AUG Optics when the A3 was first imported, as well as getting the correct "military rail" (it's longer and higher than the ones that shipped by default with the A3 AUGs, and the current ones)...the optic was designed for the specific rail height.

It's not a QD optic at all...so basically, I'm stuck with the optic/rail pair. The hidden costs of trying to be "correct"...so I don't really swap between the 16" and the 20" that I have

I finally worked my way through this thread. Awesome conversations with the respect you expect at PF. Makes me want to get a spare barrel for my AUG.

if anyone is looking, ARID is having a 15% off sale through July 9
    https://www.aridusa.com/ code FREEDOM

They have posted that they are working on a new top rail and handguard (which will replace the stock vert grip) but I didnt see an ETA on that stuff yet

Site Supporter
    My biggest AUG criticism/complaint after a few range trips and months of dryfire:

It sucks for handling in any manner other than having a hand directly on the pistol grip. Yeah, there’s a little space between the grip and magazine you can grab, but it’s not super comfortable. For my intended use this isn’t really a problem, but in a situation where somebody was living 24/7 with a rifle and has to deal with a rifle and doing other tasks I think it would start to get old pretty quick.

Like leaning it agains a wall or furniture or laying it on the ground and then picking it up, especially with your weak hand is annoyingly unergonomic.

Eta: I am still using the stock VFG set up.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 07-06-2023 at 07:07 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Any thoughts on the current QC for these guns? Their pricing/availability, as well as 5.56 ammo, is not bad at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Any thoughts on the current QC for these guns? Their pricing/availability, as well as 5.56 ammo, is not bad at the moment.
    Mine is about a year and a half old, and has been fine. I noticed the current dip in prices and briefly considered a second, but not finding ready made 20” barreled rifles killed that.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    There were a few people that got guns made during the covid period that had issues with stocks cracking near the takedown button, from what I've read steyr replaced all the stocks under warranty. The aug subreddit has some decent information usually

User Tag List