Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

Site Supporter

AUG on the way

I have a new AUG on the way. I also purchased the suppressor gas regulator and some extra mags. I am totally new to the AUG and have a couple questions:

1. Is the trigger so awful that I should just order an aftermarket replacement now? Wait and see? What's the best option out there?

2. Can I use a standard Vickers 2 point sling?

3. Aside from an optic, is there anything else I "need"?

Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I have a new AUG on the way. I also purchased the suppressor gas regulator and some extra mags. I am totally new to the AUG and have a couple questions:

1. Is the trigger so awful that I should just order an aftermarket replacement now? Wait and see? What's the best option out there?

Thanks much.
    1. Wait and see. There are different options that change different things. I'm happy with my own Cleetus-style fix, for the price of free
    2. I don't see why not but using the front sling swivel is annoying.
    3. https://gearheadworks.com/product/aug-flex-swivel/ Re: slings, this is the best solution I've found. Mine is all stock minus this and the manticore extended magazine release. Besides the sling swivel I wouldn't recommend automatically upgrading anything until you mess around with the gun awhile to find out exactly what annoys you and why
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Regarding the trigger. After years of hearing how terrible the AUG trigger is, when I finally got one it was not as bad as I had imagined, especially compared to most standard military triggers. I mean, it’s for sure on the heavy side, but it did not practically limit the accuracy of the weapon in any meaningful way. All it really did is make it a bit harder to get consistent jailbait splits at close range, although to me the recoil impulse was such where the trigger actually helped me to not outrun my headlights, so to speak. But if jailbait splits are a priority, then the AUG is the wrong weapon anyway.

Steyr makes a reduced power trigger spring kit (it’s painted red in color) which, when available, is around $50-60 or something like that. Installing this seemed to shave a few pounds off the trigger weight. I would suggest just going with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I’m with @nalesq on the trigger. It’s not “great” but I don’t think it’s bad at all. I’ve had no problem with the standard trigger getting hits out to 400 yards with a comp m3 and 3x magnifier on smaller than c-zone targets.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Thanks much.
    I find the trigger pretty decent. I wouldn't spend money until you use it for a bit.

I use a magpul sling mount behind the aimpoint. It makes the rifle very convenient and leaves the charging handle un-impeded.

Flashlight mounting is one area that is a challenge. I would still wait until you use a rifle before buying more stuff. The only other thing I keep coming back to is a longer handguard/rail to make flashlight attachment easier.
    Here is how mine is setup right now:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post

Flashlight mounting is one area that is a challenge.
    I really love the PupLight Mount on mine. Mounts any 1" diameter tactical light (Surefire, Malkoff, Modlite, Armytek etc) to the gas block, perfectly positioned to be activated by the thumb when using the VFG. Mounted in this way there is also no barrel shadow. It feels very organic to the AUG, almost like it was factory designed for it.

http://battlefieldinnovations.com/own-it.html

Here it is on my AUG:

Site Supporter

AUG Initial Impressions and a Question

I have my new AUG in hand. Some initial impressions and a question:

1. This rifle is very compact. I need to do some side-by-side comparisons but, I think it's shorter than my 11.5" AR SBR.

2. The trigger is not horrible. I'll get some rounds through it before making any changes.

3. The front sling swivel is poorly placed and inevitably will conflict with the charging handle. I plan to replace with a Magpul RSA QD mount.

4. Although this is a "plastic" gun, it doesn't feel cheap. In fact, it subjectively feels solid.

5. The AUG balances well in the hand.

6. The 42-round magazines may be too long for most purposes.

7. The safety is well-placed but has some wicked sharp edges.

8. I don't know for sure but, I think this may be a 1/9 twist barrel. If so, heavier bullets may be problematic.

My question: The barrel is threaded just in front of the gas piston assembly. What's that for?

Site Supporter
    My question: The barrel is threaded just in front of the gas piston assembly. What's that for?
    I believe the threads are for mounting a bayonet lug adapter or grenade launcher to the AUG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The safety is well-placed but has some wicked sharp edges.
    several companies make a more rounded off/ergonomic safety switch.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/...for-steyr-aug/

Of course, 30 seconds with a fine file or emery board would also round off those sharp corners for free.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

1. This rifle is very compact. I need to do some side-by-side comparisons but, I think it's shorter than my 11.5" AR SBR.

6. The 42-round magazines may be too long for most purposes.

1. My 16" AR is 34.625" with the stock clicked in one position and A2 FH.

16" AUG is 28" with Tulip FH, would probably be 27.5" with a A2 length FH.

CZ Scorpion 7.78" 9mm with brace collapsed is 24.25"

So the 16" AUG is actually closer in size to a 9mm SMG then it is to a normal 16" AR. Really the true embodiment of the Sturmgewehr concept - having the handling and firepower of a SMG with the power and range of a rifle.

6. The 42rd mag is 9.25" long, the standard 30rd 7.62 AK mag is 9" long. Fun fact, 42rd seems weird, but actually 5x42 = 7x30 = 210rd.

For me its the default magazine, and I consider it one of the main advantages of the platform - having extra capacity while remaining unobtrusive due to the longer mag being tucked in closer to the body.

The threading on the barrel is primarily for attaching the bayonet mount, which is screw on. Like all things AUG, the Bayonet mount is modular - you have the option of no mount, one mount for normal NATO bayonets, another which mounts the Glock field knife.

User Tag List