Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: KeyMod vs. M-LOK

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    All the more reason to go Keymore or MLOK instead of having all that useless 1913 cheesegrater space.
    Doesn't bother me. When I replace (note I didn't say upgrade) I may consider the flavors of the month. All I need my personal and department guns to do is go bang and maintain the attached equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    All the more reason to go Keymore or MLOK instead of having all that useless 1913 cheesegrater space.
    Dude I like my tactical cheese grater, cheddar has never been grated so well for my camp fire chilli.

I do however wish there where some 8" keymod rails available. Specifically the KMR for my AR pistols where I want to be the lightest possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I'm still mourning the loss of Picatinny, specifically the original DD M4 rail which (with the exception of no built-in QD sockets) was perfect when combined with Larue Index Clips. However, with there being various KM and ML handguards available for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Picatinny systems, it becomes harder to justify sticking with what I love.

I have both a KM and ML handguard. The KM is installed but unfired, and the ML is not yet even installed. So far, I find the ML attachment method to be more difficult. That's about the extent of my comparison.

I will say that the availability of direct-attach VFGs and plastic covers are pretty much a requirement for me. I've tried going without both and dislike what I've encountered.

I will also say that I suspect that if BCM offers up a 16" ELW-F, BFG barreled upper with 15" KMR handguard, I probably won't be able to resist plunking down the cash and making everything else I own match up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I will also say that I suspect that if BCM offers up a 16" ELW-F, BFG barreled upper with 15" KMR handguard, I probably won't be able to resist plunking down the cash and making everything else I own match up to it.
    That does sound pretty good, reminds me that I need to create a thread on barrel profiles.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That does sound pretty good, reminds me that I need to create a thread on barrel profiles.
    That upper came available with the non-CHF barrel, and I almost bit. I'm really not sold on the CHF voodoo but right now it's an excuse NOT to buy the goddamn upper to replace one that works just fine.

Then there is the temptation to just go all-KAC, buy three more-than-functional guns from them, and go another 10 years without changing much of anything on them like I did with my original 3 Colts. At which point I'd be invested in the Keymod anyway.

Which, to come back to the topic at hand, I think is where things will get interesting relative to the VHS/Beta we have now... what do the OEMs choose? KAC is obviously all-in with Keymod. As is Noveske. Both boutique brands, to be sure. Of course, there really aren't many rifle manufacturers who also manufacture their own handguards, so I suppose they're free to bolt the new hotness on to their standard guns at any time.

The CHF thing eludes me as well. I don't *think* it's something that makes any difference for me and my uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The CHF thing eludes me as well. I don't *think* it's something that makes any difference for me and my uses.
    In this Luckygunner Labs test, they shot out a Spike's Tactical CHF barrel in ~6,000rds of Tula 5.56 steel case ammo. I know it's a data point of 1 and ammo is probably to blame. But the two other non-CHF barrels in the test that shot crummy steel case ammo (Wolf & Brown Bear), lasted longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I found my FN CHF CL barrels don't hold copper NEARLY as much as button rifled CL barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    In this Luckygunner Labs test, they shot out a Spike's Tactical CHF barrel in ~6,000rds of Tula 5.56 steel case ammo. I know it's a data point of 1 and ammo is probably to blame. But the two other non-CHF barrels in the test that shot crummy steel case ammo (Wolf & Brown Bear), lasted longer.
    I'm not too convinced that "event" they had gives us much useful info.

There are also other reasons I'd be cautious comparing components from that event.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'm not too convinced that "event" they had gives us much useful info.

There are also other reasons I'd be cautious comparing components from that event.
    Like what? I'm genuinely curious. Still learning a lot about the AR platform technicalities.

Since this is pretty off topic of the thread, a PM would be fine.

User Tag List