Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: KeyMod vs. M-LOK

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I guess I would ask you if shooting 20,000 rounds though the same gun/barrel is something that is an important/realistic consideration for you? Or is it a "nice to have" thing vs. a "need to have" thing? I can be convinced, but I currently have the same opinion on CHF for my purposes as I had before.
    I don't shoot near the volume I used to, but there was a time that I'd hit that mark in ~3 years. Even at 2x that long, I'd prefer to "set it, and forget it" rather than deal with the possibility of re barreling.

My #1 gun has lasted longer than that with a .625" non-CHF barrel, but that's because there were long stretches where I was shooting various other T&E guns and it didn't get touched. I'd like to get another 10 year gun to replace it, but this time it will be "the" gun instead of "a" gun.

So, possibly yes. Having a gun that can do 20k rounds with no loss of accuracy for 10 years is appealing to me. In fact, I would say that right now it's the goal.

That said, I don't know that something like the standard ELW-F can't do that too. I'm not sure that anyone knows that.

What is the price difference overall?

What is the price difference overall?
    Right now I don't know, on the ELW or ELW-F because they don't offer it in a "BFH". But in what appears to be an apples:apples, the non-BFH is $439 and the BFH of the otherwise identical upper is $515, or $76 difference. In a gun that's likely to be $3k with optic and accessories, that seems pretty minor to me to have the potential insurance/assurance.

So, probably "nice to have", but the 20k+ lifespan is definitely what I'm after.

I think Johnston has moved on to some piston gun nonsense as his next "torture test", but I'd like to see someone with the free ammo he has do a 20k test on the non-BFH ELW-F.

Back to the point of this thread, weighing MLOK, vs. Keymod, vs. Pictanny, the 10 year/20k rifle idea is the only reason I really have any consternation over it at all. If I was still in the panty-of-the-month club of the revolving door of accesory changes I'd probably not care and guy whatever weighed/looked/felt/cost in line with my current feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I think Johnston has moved on to some piston gun nonsense as his next "torture test", but I'd like to see someone with the free ammo he has do a 20k test on the non-BFH ELW-F.
    Ah, but the tards want to know what a piston rifle does compared to a DI, and unfortunately I don't just "get" 20K of ammo, I have to sell the broad appeal of the project. DI vs. Piston vs. AK is something even casual "gun people" are interested in. Only hardcore gun nerds (myself included) care about the long term durability of ELW-F barrel. I do have a 14.5" pinned ELW-F on one of my builds, so I will eventually have the data point you're asking about. Just might be a year or two.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Let's leave the personality wars on Facebook, please.

Let's leave the personality wars on Facebook, please.
    I thought we did? He hasn't called me a joke yet and I haven't trolled him hardly at all.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    I thought we did? He hasn't called me a joke yet and I haven't trolled him hardly at all. :)
    I thought we were doing quite well, actually. My "nonsense" comment had nothing to do with John, only the fact that it was a piston AR, and I thought the response re: only getting 20k free rounds if the marketing worked was a pretty good explanation of why:piston instead of something only we might find interesting.

Need to figure out a way to get the barrel AND ammo out of BCM...
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 01-13-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fixed unintentional smiley in text to improve readability

I thought we were doing quite well, actually. My "nonsense" comment had nothing to do with John, only the fact that it was a piston AR, and I thought the response re: only getting 20k free rounds if the marketing worked was a pretty good explanation of whyiston instead of something only we might find interesting.

Ask?

You have a reference of a KAC gun with before and after.

Why not ask, shoot the test, and then have a big radio show with KAC, BCM, and you and discuss the benefits of CHF over long term courses of fire.

Freedom Munitions could get more press too.

The worst they could say is no and you'd have the same amount of ammo as you do now.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Ask?

You have a reference of a KAC gun with before and after.

Why not ask, shoot the test, and then have a big radio show with KAC, BCM, and you and discuss the benefits of CHF over long term courses of fire.

Freedom Munitions could get more press too.

The worst they could say is no and you'd have the same amount of ammo as you do now.
    I'll be seeing Paul on Monday.
    J.M. Johnston

I thought we were doing quite well, actually. My "nonsense" comment had nothing to do with John, only the fact that it was a piston AR, and I thought the response re: only getting 20k free rounds if the marketing worked was a pretty good explanation of whyiston instead of something only we might find interesting.

It's obvious to all involved when Rob and I slide off the tracks, promise.
    J.M. Johnston

User Tag List