Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: KeyMod vs. M-LOK

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Jack,
    None of my actual use guns have keymod or M-lok, and my experience with them is very limited. Can you go into a little more detail on the two halves of your statement above? I've been wanting to go to a light, small diameter forearm, but because of some of the issues I have heard about, I've mostly shelved the project for now. Any extra info would be very helpful.
    My point about volume of sales is purely anecdotal, I simply do not have access to the info, working off of what I have been told and what seems to be supported by market presence.

Keymod
    Pros:
    Open source, not restrained by a TDP, which allows a manufacturer to improve upon the mounting method.
    Shows better alignment of mounted items, as the attachment nut is conical and tightens into a beveled recess.

Cons:
    Open source, not restrained by a TDP, which allows a manufacturer to screw-up the mounting method.
    Requires higher than usual toque for a small screw to avoid loosening, but must remain low enough to prevent damage to the nut or handguard.
    The attachment nut and mounting slot must be able to withstand significant torque without deforming, which makes both highly sensitive to material and hardening processes.
    To reverse an item, the nut recess must first allow it, and the user must loosen and flip the nut.

M-Lok
    Pros:
    Patented and controlled by Magpul, which ensures that everyone that is making an M-lok accessory that bears the M-Lok logo has to have been approved by them, which keeps everyone at the standard that they want.
    Attachment method can bear very high torque, ensuring that accessories won't loosen if mounted correctly.
    Attachment hardware can withstand high pull force.
    Items are immediately able to be reversed when mounting.

Cons:
    Patented and controlled by Magpul, which prevents outside manufacturers from changing the attachment method for a specific purpose.
    Attachment hardware can be shifted (without loosening) with lateral leverage.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 07-13-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: punctuation, added reversible comment
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    intersting. are you talking about their plastic handguards?
    The information was in regard to all M-Lok items.
    Director Of Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    The information was in regard to all M-Lok items.
    thanks Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    That's fine. I'm not selling anything. I answered a question. I provided my rationale. I described my rationale. If I had some money to make here, I would buy a KMR and show you. But...I don't.

I have seen this with a TON of products.

Keep in mind how interconnected this community is. I am not affiliated with anyone, so I can say whatever I want. However, not everyone has that "luxury". They may do business with a company selling something they feel negatively about, but won't say/show because hey, they love their whatevers, and are friends with the owner, and so on. I don't have to explain all the ins and outs of it, you get where I'm going. It's not that "secret squirrel". It's just that "Hey bro, as a friend...don't buy one of those, but you didn't hear me say that..." I've had plenty of those tips from people and I suspect you have, too, if you want to be honest about it, while watching them pimp the same thing on their YouTube channel or whatever like it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Kyle Lamb is in bed with Leupold.
    LAV with Aimpoint.
    Taran Butler with Trijicon.

You will see them pimping every product in the line-ups, no matter how shitty they think it is. This is just a highly visible example-set.
    So then, no pics?

I have a KMR on a Noveske, and a SR15 Mod 2 with URX 4. I'm not a ninja and I don't kick in doors. Not being patronizing, just saying that I'm probably not as hard on my gear as others may be. That said, KM works just fine for me. If either of those two KM rails start falling apart, I suspect I'll change it to something else. If KM stops being supported, I'll start attaching rail sections until the whole thing falls apart. I'm not in love with either rail, but I have what I have, and it works, so I'm not worried about changing anytime soon.

I imagine ML would work just the same, for my purposes, and I would feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I have a KMR on a Noveske, and a SR15 Mod 2 with URX 4. I'm not a ninja and I don't kick in doors. Not being patronizing, just saying that I'm probably not as hard on my gear as others may be. That said, KM works just fine for me. If either of those two KM rails start falling apart, I suspect I'll change it to something else. If KM stops being supported, I'll start attaching rail sections until the whole thing falls apart. I'm not in love with either rail, but I have what I have, and it works, so I'm not worried about changing anytime soon.

I imagine ML would work just the same, for my purposes, and I would feel the same way.
    Frankly, most people will never notice a difference if they just pick the one that they think looks the coolest, so long as high quality parts are used.

NOTE: My use of the word "frankly" is not at all condescending, but rather indicates bare honesty on my behalf, with as few words used as necessary.
    Director Of Sales

Jack, that's my feeling on it as well. It's like there's a disturbance in the force unless it's established that one is superior to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Frankly, most people will never notice a difference if they just pick the one that they think looks the coolest, so long as high quality parts are used.

NOTE: My use of the word "frankly" is not at all condescending, but rather indicates bare honesty on my behalf, with as few words used as necessary.
    26/1

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Jack, that's my feeling on it as well. It's like there's a disturbance in the force unless it's established that one is superior to the other.
    At least for me, I am interested in buying gear that will hold up. Work guns and work gear get tested to a level beyond the casual user's needs. Given my mostly good experience with highly tested stuff, I prefer to buy personal gear that will pass the test as well. I have no personal knowledge of either system's durability, but when a good buddy in the industry tells me that the KMR has some issues with the alloy, I listen. He may be wrong, but if he's right, then I have avoided buying a potential problem. If other guys I trust, like F2S, think it works, then the "issue" likely won't affect me, if it indeed exists. Not doubting my buddy at all, but changes are often made to a product over time, and what was once true, may no longer be true.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Keymod works for me. I suspect M-Lock would as well. Is anyone else making a rail as light as the KMR?
    The Midwest is not technically lighter (9.3 vs 8.1) but it has 5 QD sockets built into it. The KMR would have to add ounces to mount a QD sling.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...tegory_id=1266

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-K...15-556-blk.htm

User Tag List