Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Critique my FAST

Did some dry-fire practice on press-outs and reloads with my new STActionPro snap caps. Open to feedback, tried to incorporate the advice given here. I'm still working on making my press-out level all the way through. I indexed my elbow inside my hipbone. If this should be a new thread, that's fine.

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

We are diminished
    I only watched the first 22 seconds.

You are not getting the gun up to your eye level. You are pressing straight out from your center chest to your final extension point which means you're not seeing the sights until the gun is more or less at extension. That means you'll either have to get a less precise sight picture before breaking the shot or you'll need to take additional time to refine your sight picture after the gun stops moving.

Perform all of your manipulations high and in front of you, even when you're just racking the slide to reset the trigger. Get in the habit of working with the gun in a specific place in front of you. Doing administrative stuff at your belly is wasting opportunity to practice.

a small note about the things you do in between your drills. Holster the gun before you pick up any mags, people have a tendency to sweep the gun to either side when they are bending over to grab stuff. On pretty much every course I've ever taken that was one of the first items mentioned after the safety rules and commands. When the gun is in your hand, focus on the things you are working on, when you are doing extraneous things like picking stuff up, fixing holster position or such, put the gun away, preferably in whatever condition you need it to be in on the draw. If you need mags that are on the dirt for that, then put it away empty. I'm probably not the only one here who's been swept by someone picking up a magazine.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Working on getting the pistol up to eye level before pressing out. Feels really strange at first. But then, so did shooting support side. Makes breaking the shot as soon as I get to full extension a lot easier. Thanks.

Slavex, 'preciate the feedback. I'll working on making that process much safer and smoother, keeping the pistol in the holster.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

IIRC Todd mentioned that practicing your press out SHO and WHO is a good way to get the motion down, maybe that will help.

"Wow, I have a lot to work on."

I've been shooting for over twenty years and wish something like these websites and information were available when I was your age (you look late teens, early twenties to me). You're on the right track, find what works for you and discard what doesn't. Don't get discouraged when your skill level plateaus and then dips, it will come back up to a higher level. Good luck!

User Tag List