Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique my FAST

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    First, most of the really big name shooters have totally abandoned the concept of only releasing the trigger to the reset point.
    ... except Todd Green. It just seems like wasted movement to me.

Second, what round are you shooting? Look at the back of your shoulders as you shoot - you're getting pushed backward quite a bit with every round, which is going to make it very difficult for the gun to recoil and come to rest back on the target. Get with a good instructor who can help with things like stanch, grip, and trigger control and you will see immediate improvement.

Otherwise, great job. You're definitely on the right path...
    Shooting 115gr FMJ. It's a Glock 26, so the grip's pretty small. But I do need to work on my stance - I think I could get lower, and that would help. And put opposing pressure on the grip, flexing my pecs.

Wow, I have a lot to work on.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Shooting a Glock 26, so the grip's pretty small. But I do need to work on my stance - I think I could get lower, and that would help. And put opposing pressure on the grip, flexing my pecs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmN7mpVZWE&NR=1

Check out that Q&A session with Dave.

We are diminished
    ... except Todd Green. It just seems like wasted movement to me.
    Nope. I've never taught riding the sear reset point. You're correct that it's wasted movement and if you had a robot that could move its finger precisely repeatedly it would be the fastest way to go. But we're not robots.

Let's suppose your gun resets after 0.15" of movement. If you always try to move your finger 0.15", and time you're even the slightest fraction of an inch too short you'll short stroke and prevent the gun from firing. If instead you let the trigger out just a bit more, you can safely avoid trigger freeze. Will it mean your finger is moving one or two 32nd's of an inch farther with each shot than absolutely necessary? Yup. But that's a very small -- some might argue meaningless -- price to pay for reliable function.

As was discussed around here somewhere recently, the best approach is to reset during recoil without letting your finger lose contact with the trigger and then break the shot once you've verified adequate visual alignment.

I was mistaken. However, in the video, it looks like I'm letting the trigger all the way out and breaking contact.
    my fingers for battle.

Banned
    I was mistaken. However, in the video, it looks like I'm letting the trigger all the way out and breaking contact.
    I'm no professional instructor, but the distance you let the trigger out is not the most critical part of the trigger manipulation cycle. Personally, I think people give it too much credence. Instead, focus on getting the trigger up to the point it's about to break, and then letting your subconscious finish the trigger pull when your vision has determined you have enough information to call the shot.

However, all of this stuff is pretty esoteric, and perhaps not as useful as it could be if being worked in isolation. I promise the best money you will spend is on a class with a good instructor. Failing that, get out to an IDPA / USPSA match and start buddying up to the Ms and GMs and glean everything you can from them.

On that note, does anyone know of some matches or good instructors in the Colorado Springs area?
    my fingers for battle.

We are diminished
    but the distance you let the trigger out is not the most critical part of the trigger manipulation cycle.
    True to a point but (a) the more distance your finger travels the more chance you have to disrupt sight alignment and (b) losing complete contact with the trigger at speed almost always leads to slapping the trigger hard which also tends to disrupt sight alignment.

When you start talking about watching GMs shoot, be careful you know what you're seeing. Someone shooting an immobile wide open target at 3yd is a lot different than shooting a difficult target under realistic conditions. Dave Sevigny shooting a slightly polished 3.5# Glock trigger is a lot different than someone with a 1911 using a 1.5# trigger with zero takeup and zero overtravel. Etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    True to a point but (a) the more distance your finger travels the more chance you have to disrupt sight alignment and (b) losing complete contact with the trigger at speed almost always leads to slapping the trigger hard which also tends to disrupt sight alignment.

When you start talking about watching GMs shoot, be careful you know what you're seeing. Someone shooting an immobile wide open target at 3yd is a lot different than shooting a difficult target under realistic conditions. Dave Sevigny shooting a slightly polished 3.5# Glock trigger is a lot different than someone with a 1911 using a 1.5# trigger with zero takeup and zero overtravel. Etc.
    Great points. Obviously I agree, not that anyone needs my validation.

As far as gleaning information from GMs goes, definitely choose a GM who shoots in your division. To your point, someone who has only ever shot Open might be able to give great points on a lot of things, but I wouldn't go to them with my questions about Glock trigger manipulation and calling shots with iron sights.

On the other hand, I haven't met many GMs who wouldn't stick around for a few minutes with a new shooter to show them a few pointers about grip, stance, reload technique, etc. Hanging around and being a sponge to these guys is a great way to get free lessons. With that said, clearly the best way to shorten the learning curve is to get into a good class for a couple of days with a great instructor.

First, most of the really big name shooters have totally abandoned the concept of only releasing the trigger to the reset point. They don't slap the trigger, but they let it out and prep between shots
    Names please. I have taken classes from a few of the "big names" within the past year or two and haven't heard of anyone abandoning utilization of the reset.

MODS, if this needs to be split off please feel free.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Names please. I have taken classes from a few of the "big names" within the past year or two and haven't heard of anyone abandoning utilization of the reset.

MODS, if this needs to be split off please feel free.
    I started a thread to discuss it in the marksmanship forum. I'll post names a bit later when I have more time.

User Tag List