Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HD AR Build

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I like 5.56 for home defense. With the right Ammunition ( read DocGKR's article) it works quite well.
    I like 5.56 a lot as well, have a few, and have also read Doc's articles. But 100 and in, suppressed SBR? That's the 300 Blackout's calling card.

Barring free ammo, I really can't think of a reason to go with 5.56 over 300 BLK for that specific niche.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I like 5.56 a lot as well, have a few, and have also read Doc's articles. But 100 and in, suppressed SBR? That's the 300 Blackout's calling card.

Barring free ammo, I really can't think of a reason to go with 5.56 over 300 BLK for that specific niche.

I am leaning toward 5.56 because of the availability/price of that over 6.8 and 300 BLK. I don't reload and I tend to shoot a decent amount by my standards. (500 rounds a month of 5.56 and another 5-600 of 9mm) What about 7.62x39? Does anyone know how that does out of a canned AR?

Magazines are the weak point in the 7.62x39 in a standard lower AR system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

I'd get a Sig 556R over a 7.62x39mm AR.
    #RESIST

Funny, given that there is still no good "defensive" 300 subsonic ammo, I've come to the opposite conclusion that I can't think of a reason to go 300 BLK over 5.56 or, if I really want a gun that's subsonic and has ammo that performs well, 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Funny, given that there is still no good "defensive" 300 subsonic ammo, I've come to the opposite conclusion that I can't think of a reason to go 300 BLK over 5.56 or, if I really want a gun that's subsonic and has ammo that performs well, 9mm.
    Because subsonic is the only ammo option for that caliber....

Funny.

Because subsonic is the only ammo option for that caliber....

Funny.
    What is the appeal of the non-subsonic? I can tell you that it's no quieter than a 5.56, suppressed or not, to the ear. Do you have evidence or documentation to support an idea that someone will me more-deader with the most-wonderful-of-wonder-projectiles than with the most-wonderful-of-wonder-projectiles in 5.56?

There's a reason the 300 BLK is called the "300 WTF" by a lot of people. The juice ain't worth the squeeze, and virtually all of the marketing hype doesn't stand up to even the slightest of scrutiny.

It's no sweat off my balls if someone wants to get invested in the WTF, but from every angle I've looked at it, it's a pig in a poke.

ETA:
    Just to clarify, I have a couple thousand rounds through an AAC 300 BLK upper, which was a mixture of suppressed and non, subsonic and non. Much of that was at an EAG class, some at matches, and some just plinking. I didn't get the chance to shoot anything living with it, but did go on a hunt with 3 friends where 3 of us were shooting 5.56 and one was shooting 300. All four pigs died.

When it first came out, and I first got the upper, and first started getting cases of ammo to the house, and first got to play with the can... I was excited, and I was a fan. It just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny, and for me at least, there just isn't any reason for it.

we need to get over this idea that there's something wrong with 5.56, or that something else is more betterer.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    we need to get over this idea that there's something wrong with 5.56, or that something else is more betterer.
    Is this another classic rob_s strawman? I never said there was anything wrong with 5.56. Is this the part where you're going to create an argument on my behalf again?

Ugh. Whatever. I'm done. I said my piece to the OP about the caliber consideration and anything from here on out with you is just drivel.

I get what some of the 300 BLK benefits would be especially for HD however I think availability and cost out weigh those benefits. My intention for this rifle would primarily be HD however I also like the idea of still being able to reach out to 200 yards or more with a canned 5.56 even out of a short barrel. From what I'm hearing 300 BLK is pretty limited distance/accuracy wise. Plus keeping the caliber the same as my current rig keeps things simple. I'm sure one day I'll jump up to a bigger bore AR but more than likely it will be 7.62 x 51 and maybe a 6.8

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I get what some of the 300 BLK benefits would be especially for HD however I think availability and cost out weigh those benefits. My intention for this rifle would primarily be HD however I also like the idea of still being able to reach out to 200 yards or more with a canned 5.56 even out of a short barrel. From what I'm hearing 300 BLK is pretty limited distance/accuracy wise. Plus keeping the caliber the same as my current rig keeps things simple. I'm sure one day I'll jump up to a bigger bore AR but more than likely it will be 7.62 x 51 and maybe a 6.8
    I have no problems hitting at 300 with 300blk. Subs and super with a 8" barrel and, a mil/mil 1-6x Bushnell tactical, once you find your dope it's on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

User Tag List