Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HD AR Build

HD AR Build

So I'm building my second AR. This will be a strictly HD/SD or anything inside 100 yards. What's the shortest barrel I should put on it. At some point I'm going to put a can on it and I want to keep the overall length as short as possible without loosing too much terminal performance.

HD AR Build

10.5 / 11.5 will retain plenty of velocity & reliability. Anything shorter gets really finicky.

With a typical can length added on, you are looking at just short of a 16" gun.

This is a PWS Mk110 upper on an M16a1. Suppressor is a AAC 416-SD. Next to it is my patrol gun, a DDM4V1:

Last edited by SamuelBLong; 11-17-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added picture
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    So I'm building my second AR. This will be a strictly HD/SD or anything inside 100 yards. What's the shortest barrel I should put on it. At some point I'm going to put a can on it and I want to keep the overall length as short as possible without loosing too much terminal performance.
    You didn't specify caliber.....so have you considered 300 Blackout?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You didn't specify caliber.....so have you considered 300 Blackout?
    I was thinking 5.56 or 6.8. Never really considered 300.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    10.5 / 11.5 will retain plenty of velocity & reliability. Anything shorter gets really finicky.

With a typical can length added on, you are looking at just short of a 16" gun.

This is a PWS Mk110 upper on an M16a1. Suppressor is a AAC 416-SD. Next to it is my patrol gun, a DDM4V1:

That is beautiful. Thanks for the info!

I'm a fan of 12.5" for a suppressed SBR.
    With my AAC Ranger 2 on a 12.5" barrel it's exactly the same length as a 16" with a A2 flash hider.

I've found the 12.5" to be far easier to make run and keep running over a variety of ammo (both .223 and 5.56) and when the gun is hot and filthy.
    The 12.5" will also run suppressed and unsuppressed without changing buffers, my 10.5" LMT required a H3 suppressed and a H2 unsuppressed.
    You also get another 75 yards or so of effective range out of a 12.5" vs. a 10.5".
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I concur on 300BLK. I got to shoot a supressed SBR 300BLK on a recent visit to YHM and it was quite awesome. That's been on my radar for a while as a go to HD rifle, and it certainly cemented it as my next build and purpose for the build.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

I like 5.56 for home defense. With the right Ammunition ( read DocGKR's article) it works quite well. If you're looking for a home defense suppressor, take a long hard look at the Silencerco SakerK.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm a fan of 12.5" for a suppressed SBR.
    With my AAC Ranger 2 on a 12.5" barrel it's exactly the same length as a 16" with a A2 flash hider.

I've found the 12.5" to be far easier to make run and keep running over a variety of ammo (both .223 and 5.56) and when the gun is hot and filthy.
    The 12.5" will also run suppressed and unsuppressed without changing buffers, my 10.5" LMT required a H3 suppressed and a H2 unsuppressed.
    You also get another 75 yards or so of effective range out of a 12.5" vs. a 10.5".
    Why no 11.5"?
    #RESIST

I don't have enough time on a 11.5 to have an opinion either way.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List