Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWII exploding rifle ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I can see why guys would get the urge to try and make their bad guys explode in a cloud of pink mist, but I have to wonder what accuracy levels this ammo had, and how it effected zero
    Given the crappy (by today's standards) accuracy of the average wartime Kar98k and 7.92mm ball ammo, it probably didn't matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Umm...

Anyone know a source for this in .45ACP?
    steel hawk

I'd hate to be that guy that was carrying this and got shot or caught some shrapnel in a magazine/stripper clip pouch.

I wonder how much of the purported effectiveness came from guys taking that little bit of extra time and effort to get a solid shot off with their prized ammo, and pass on the low probability shots.

U
    Quote Originally Posted by czech6 View Post
    steel hawk

I'd hate to be that guy that was carrying this and got shot or caught some shrapnel in a magazine/stripper clip pouch.

I wonder how much of the purported effectiveness came from guys taking that little bit of extra time and effort to get a solid shot off with their prized ammo, and pass on the low probability shots.
    IIRC Allerberger kept a stash of it and used it on high priority targets.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I can see why guys would get the urge to try and make their bad guys explode in a cloud of pink mist, but I have to wonder what accuracy levels this ammo had, and how it effected zero
    Yeah, my thought as well. How concentric is the center of mass on one of these rounds?

Also curious how much impulse you need to set one off. Carrying primed explode-on-impact bullets sounds dicey.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    U

IIRC Allerberger kept a stash of it and used it on high priority targets.
    The anecdote of the German sniper using B-Patrone on a Soviet target does beg the question: Wouldn't a 7.92mm ball round to the grape be just as detrimental to the health, welfare & general morale of the target?

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    The anecdote of the German sniper using B-Patrone on a Soviet target does beg the question: Wouldn't a 7.92mm ball round to the grape be just as detrimental to the health, welfare & general morale of the target?
    I'm checking the book to verify what properties he considered and why the round was favored.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List