Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norway's Supermax prison

Norway's Supermax prison

HERE This is where the murderer of 90+ innocent people will go. Best part is, under current Norwegian law, he'll probably be out in 21 years, max.

It is interesting to note that Norway has a much smaller recidivism rate than the UK, US and other Western nations.

Mental note: move to Norway, commit crimes.

Like a college dorm? I didn't get a free flatscreen or a complimentary personal trainer at my college dorm
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    Like a college dorm? I didn't get a free flatscreen or a complimentary personal trainer at my college dorm
    You were sleeping with the wrong girls...
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Hahahaha you all thought that this was the coziest prison.....in Norway. You poor souls, it gets even worse!!!!

Behold:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...-catch-UK.html

and of course the movie about it:

http://www.bastoythemovie.com/

the trailer:

Kidding aside they do boast a very low recidivism rate in Norway.
    Maybe me praying for an Arpaio style tent camp in the Netherlands was wrong
    Last edited by Korenwolf; 07-28-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    It is interesting to note that Norway has a much smaller recidivism rate than the UK, US and other Western nations.
    Can't speak for other nations, but we're not helping ourselves in the US with our massive non-violent prison populations that are essentially Criminality University for the inmates.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    Can't speak for other nations, but we're not helping ourselves in the US with our massive non-violent prison populations that are essentially Criminality University for the inmates.
    Exactly.

It's not like this place in Norway is a damn resort. I'm guessing the article has a bias, like all other mainstream "news" and the way the information is presented is supposed to piss us off.

Lets Think about this rationally. what would be more likely to rehabilitate you? After all, that is the point of incarceration right?
    Being butt raped, forced to join a gang, and being locked up for many many years, in what amounts to graduate school for violent felons;

-or-

Being locked away from your family, friends, and life in a remote facility. Then provided (forced to take?) many opportunities to better yourself, and grow away from the criminal behavior that got you in trouble in the first place.

At the end of the day, more comfy or not, Norway is leaps and bounds ahead of us.
    Last edited by JDM; 07-28-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    At the end of the day, more comfy or not, Norway is leaps and bounds ahead of us.
    +1. Some people just don't want to admit that years of failure in our penal system is a reality. I can understand the vengeance side and wanting someone to suffer, but we need to set a goal with our penal system and try to accomplish it. Our current system accomplishes neither punishment or rehabilitation.

What's funny is that prison, especially long-terms, is a pretty recent development in human history. Punishment was once more swiftly adminsitered, whether that be some sort of lashing or caning, or a day in the stocks, or of course, execution. The idea of housing, clothing, and feeding criminals would have been looked at as pure insanity in the not too distant past, but now we try to provide rehabilitation as if it's the government's job to teach people how to act in society.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Lets Think about this rationally. what would be more likely to rehabilitate you? After all, that is the point of incarceration right?
    Not for the worst offenders...the type who murder almost a hundred people because of some nonsensical political grievance. While I'm not an expert in human behavior or psychology, I do know that there is such a thing as a lifestyle predator who because of his own will is incapable of being rehabilitated save perhaps by a bullet.

A large chunk of the violent crimes perpetrated in our country are perpetrated by people who already have a history of violent crime. Surprise, surprise. They've also typically made multiple trips through the criminal justice system including various programs aimed at rehabilitation. To that sort of individual a flat screen is an opportunity to make an improvised weapon, and a cute "personal trainer" is a guaranteed rape or dead body.

It's sometimes easy to correlate good results with good methods when in reality it can be luck. Prior to this awful event I'm sure most people thought the response capabilities of the police responsible for counter-terrorism and events like an active shooter were sufficient because it had always worked for other incidents. Success indicates great methods, right? One reasonably intelligent murderer was all it took to expose major flaws nobody had planned for. One. Before that day they were lucky. Luck ran out. Relatively placid, culturally homogeneous societies/communities are often used to a sort of gentleman's agreement that doesn't prove very durable against the truly predatory human being.

I view incarceration primarily as a means of keeping the worst products of society in a cage so they can't hurt people. I have absolutely no notion that it's possible to rehabilitate someone capable of this sort of crime.

If we took 150 guys out of SHU in Pelican Bay I sincerely doubt they'd be rehabilitated members of society after a few years in a Norwegian prison.

User Tag List