Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Anybody else either logging off more or deactivating their account lately?
    Nah, it's my main avenue for keeping in touch with widely scattered actual meatspace friends.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    With regards to the personal data thing: seeing people realize that surveillance is the economy of the Internet has been like watching Charlton Heston realize Soylent Green is people. Everybody, and I mean everybody, is collecting and profiting off your personal information. Facebook is going to burn for it, because they're a company founded and run by children with no sense of couth, but the practice will never go away, and it's woven into every aspect of modern society.
    I heard an interview today with a sociologist who studies social media. She said that based on their SEC filings, the cost to run the Facebook platform works out to approximately $0.20 per user per month.

How many would pay that or more for a platform that did not rely on selling personal data for revenue?

Monetizing personal data is what drives a lot of the negatives of the current social media platforms.

I permanently deleted my FB account not long ago, but I was never very active. Given their well publicized political leanings, anti-2A/Right modus operandi, and lack of respect for privacy, I would find a way to survive without Facebook at this point regardless. From childhood friends all the way up to friends I've made here on PF, I stay in touch via phone, text, and email regularly. Most people here grew up without computers, internet, and cell phones, so I'm pretty sure we could all find a way to live and thrive without FB.

I'm hoping someone comes out with an alternative to Facebook, one that is owned and operated by less politically charged and scrupulous individuals. I'd still not use it, as I'm not interested in that version of social media, but rather for people whom would like to leave FB but feel stuck for rooted personal and/or professional reasons. Once there was MySpace, then came Facebook, so it's not unrealistic to hope for another.

It's nice to see others stepping away, and hope more and more people either choose to, or find a way, to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Well so I’ve decided to back off from the book face semi-permanently.

I haven’t logged in for a week. All of a sudden I’m discovering a lot more free time to pursue other interests.

I decided not to close my account: I figure they’ve already sold my data so what’s the point.

Anybody else either logging off more or deactivating their account lately?
    I didn't log onto a gun forum and deactivate my Facebook account for two weeks a few months ago. It was crazy all the free time I had. I log off of fb and think it's no longer relevant and then find myself just logging on for a min and bam sucked back into useless scrolling. Of course my mom is 8 hours away so fb is a way for her to keep up with her grands playing ball, trips and school stuff.

My sole use for FB is the Messenger service which allows me to keep a running conversation with my Kid when he's deployed. I'm also de-Googling but as Tom mentioned, it's kind of a disjointed shitshow replacing all of the services -plus my work uses it as their email backbone.

Right now I just enjoy the childish satisfaction of having all of the gun & conservative related subscriptions I carry fed into the googlesphere.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 04-13-2018 at 01:31 AM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Hard to de-Google when you use an Android phone.

And then there's the wheelbarrows of cash we gun bloggers get from the NRA...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Facebook is a bit of a problem for me in that I work from home and don't have a particularly wide social circle as a result, so Facebook is basically the conduit that 90% of my interactions with the outside world passes through (the remainder being the people I play video games with, and the majority of them I keep touch with through FB too). I quite literally cannot de-Google for the same reasons, as I'd basically have to quit my job to do it.

I've definitely been trying to walk myself back from Facebook as much as I can recently - especially after Parkland, when my attitude towards news discussion basically became "let's just skip the 'pretend to have a dialogue' part and skip straight to the bit where we call each other human garbage for having an opinion so we can block one another" - but at a certain point I'd be killing what little social life I have with the intended goal of...preserving my social life. It's frustrating to no end, as I believe Facebook has become entirely toxic. It seems like while the site was originally something people joined to come together over the things they loved, it's now a place where people congregate to fight and argue over the things they hate.

It's a very no-win situation, and I can't help but feel I'm not alone in it, at least not in my generation.
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 04-13-2018 at 03:57 AM.

My daughter tells me old folks are the only ones on facebook anyway. Apparently if you arent on Instagram or snapchat you are out of the loop anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    My daughter tells me old folks are the only ones on facebook anyway. Apparently if you arent on Instagram or snapchat you are out of the loop anyway.
    That is what any teen will tell you, but I don't think my three Instagram followers make me cool.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Facebook is a bit of a problem for me in that I work from home and don't have a particularly wide social circle as a result, so Facebook is basically the conduit that 90% of my interactions with the outside world passes through (the remainder being the people I play video games with, and the majority of them I keep touch with through FB too). I quite literally cannot de-Google for the same reasons, as I'd basically have to quit my job to do it.

It's a very no-win situation, and I can't help but feel I'm not alone in it, at least not in my generation.
    I've felt your pain for almost a decade now. Working from home has it's perks but it's not everything my friends and family think it is. Being stuck in your house ten hours a day and having no separation of work and home has it's own set of problems.

One perk is that I'm working right now, yet I'm complaining about it on a shooting forum.

User Tag List