Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Sometimes I want to get on there just for the butthurt. But then I would have a very hard time not trolling certain family members and arguing with them about tiresome political stuff. They'd probably end up having to block me.
    Forum arguments pale in comparison to the wild frontier FB. lol
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I had to unfriend an old frat brother and college roommate. It was hard enough to put up with all of the lib stuff he constantly posted. But when he started trolling my posts, that was the last straw.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's always puzzled me that most Facebook users don't seem to realize that they're not the customer, they're the merchandise.
    " It's a cookbook !"

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    " It's a cookbook !"

Golf clap
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Well so I’ve decided to back off from the book face semi-permanently.

I haven’t logged in for a week. All of a sudden I’m discovering a lot more free time to pursue other interests.

I decided not to close my account: I figure they’ve already sold my data so what’s the point.

Anybody else either logging off more or deactivating their account lately?

I don’t Facebook. If I haven’t spoken to you since high school, it’s because I don’t care about you or anything you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

I haven’t logged in for a week. All of a sudden I’m discovering a lot more free time to pursue other interests.

I decided not to close my account: I figure they’ve already sold my data so what’s the point.

I have deactivated and revived my account several times over the past 5 years. I deactivate out of sheer disgust about how dumb most of it is, then I reactivate after hearing from my wife and family about things that I seem, for the moment, not to want to miss. I have an active account status on there now but don't spend much time there-----maybe 30 minutes per week max-----and I almost never post anything.

Like you, I feel that whatever activity or date I've already shared is already out there, so rage-quitting might make me feel better but the horse is already out of the barn.

I'm planning to shut my personal page down during this summer.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    No. My Facebook friends list has about 60 people on it, all of which I know in real life, and actually like keeping up with. If it weren't for Facebook, I'd probably never see them again. If there are people on Facebook you don't like, make your account private and don't friend them.

With regards to the personal data thing: seeing people realize that surveillance is the economy of the Internet has been like watching Charlton Heston realize Soylent Green is people. Everybody, and I mean everybody, is collecting and profiting off your personal information. Facebook is going to burn for it, because they're a company founded and run by children with no sense of couth, but the practice will never go away, and it's woven into every aspect of modern society.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I was barely logging in once a month and hadn't pushed an update in several years so shuttered mine a few weeks ago.

User Tag List