So I finally got a chance to take my new to me CQB to the range this afternoon.

I had a bit of a false start tinkering with the mag catch (see seperate thread http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...catch-question)

Once I had that sorted out it was off to the local indoor range (http://www.friscogunclub.com)

No holster work is allowed at the range so my goal for the trip was to test function with range ammo and a few carry loads.

150 rounds of Federal and Seller with no malfunctions. I also shot one mag each of 230 gr Gold Dots, HST, and HST +p. All through 3 new Wilson ETM HD mags. Everything ran 100%.

The Gold dots produced my best group off hand at 7 yards, but one mag each is a small sample size.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  23.1 KB

For the last several years I have shot and carried an M&P 9c thumb safety/apex FSS in a JM Kydex AIWB. Going from that setup to a 1911 didnt seem to be a big departure from what I was used to.

Things I learned
The Wilson is most definetly more accurate than I am.
45 recoil was not much more noticeable than 9 from my compact carry gun
I see what people mean now about a full size gun tucking with a proper AWIB hostler. The tuck is far more pronounced than with my compact.
I miss my Trijicon HDs

Things I'm not sure of
As I understand it HD sights on a Wilson is a no go because of the front sight cut. Is this correct?
If HDs are out, then based on what I've seen on other guns I'm considering the gold bead and the fiber optic front sights. Does the gold bead front sight jump out as well as the fiber? Is the Wilson fiber front robust enough that I won't have to replace it annually?
If the gun is going back to Wilson for new sights and an ambi safety should I go ahead and do the magwell too? I don't think concealing the magwell will be an issue, but is it THAT much better?

For now I'm really diggin this as a full size gun. I still like having the thumb saftey on my AWIB guns, and this is familiar territory coming from my M&P. Until I can convince Bill Reilhl to take on a M&P FS project with a Barsto or Wilson Barrell I think my pistol stable is full for now.

Thanks to GJM for parting with this gun. It should get a steady diet of ammo and enough regular oiling to be considered well fed and cared for.