Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Essentially a $3,000 gun in a $300 shell"

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Nah. All you need is a STI badge and some plastic aero bits, and you're good to go.
    Indeed, even better would be a BMW ///M badge. So if I did that to my Civic sedan, essentially I'd have the same car as an E92 M3.

Essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    A customer just came out of the range and asked to see what we had for 9mm 1911's. He commented that he has a Rock Island that he's swapped a bunch of Wilson Combat parts into so now he has "essentially a $3,000 Wilson Combat in a $300 shell." Unbelievable.
    I suppose it could depend on what this guy's name is. If it was me, the gun is probably worth less now than before I put the Wilson parts in it.

If it was John Harrison, or Jason Burton, or Richard Heinie, or you plug in the name somebody that is talented enough to charge that kind of money for a 1911, it just may be worth that much to somebody.

I understand your point, and see guys on the 1911 forums all the time trying to make that claim. It just doesn't make sense. Unless you really know what you are doing, you're generally better off sticking with the factory parts that came in the gun rather than butchering it trying to get aftermarket parts to fit.

Site Supporter
    And by his word, it was made so....

Until his gun starts to choke and he takes the dremel to it. Then he has the equivalent of a Jason Burton 1911 in a 300 dollar package.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It's quite entertaining when people unwittingly document the depth and breadth of their ignorance.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It's quite entertaining when people unwittingly document the depth and breadth of their ignorance.
    Where I come from we usually elect the more extreme of those types to our state legislature or Congress, although sometimes they achieve higher office as well.

I want that baby in my collection. Pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    Indeed, even better would be a BMW ///M badge. So if I did that to my Civic sedan, essentially I'd have the same car as an E92 M3.

Essentially.
    The functional equivalent, even!

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post

Essentially.
    I have friends/family always suggesting mods I can do to my 2004 Honda Accord that has run perfectly for 10 years. I always refuse and they're always perplexed.

"Why not?!"

"Because it's a Honda. It starts, the AC and heat run, and it handles pretty well for a commuter. That is the end of what I expect from this car."

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have friends/family always suggesting mods I can do to my 2004 Honda Accord that has run perfectly for 10 years. I always refuse and they're always perplexed.

"Why not?!"

"Because it's a Honda. It starts, the AC and heat run, and it handles pretty well for a commuter. That is the end of what I expect from this car."
    A smart perspective. Much like Glock pistols, cars work better when Dunning-Krueger afflicted owners do not install poorly conceived modifications.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List