Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK VP9 Reset Issue?

HK VP9 Reset Issue?

I purchased a VP9 today and took it shooting. The reset appeared to be very long, as in I had to let the trigger all the way out for it to reset. That doesn't seem right, but maybe I'm just short stroking it.

Ammo used was 150rds of Aguila 124gr FMJ and 50rds of Winchester 147gr Bonded JHP (Q4364). There weren't any issues with feeding extraction or ejection. Nothing appeared erratic during the pistol's normal operation other than the perceived reset issue.

Has anyone experienced this? I will probably call HK tomorrow, but was wondering if it may have just been me.

Here are the measurements I took on my own VP9:

Total trigger travel: 0.43 inches (11 mm)
    Trigger takeup: 0.29 inches (7.5 mm)
    Trigger break and overtravel: 0.14 inches (3.5 mm)
    Trigger reset: 0.22 inches (5.5 mm)
    Take up after reset: 0.08 inches (2 mm)

Overtravel: 0.05 inches (1.3 mm)
    If overtravel is eliminated, break from the wall would be 0.09 inches (2.3 mm) with a 0.17 inch reset (4.3 mm).

Trigger pull weight on Lyman: 5.6-5.7 lbs
    It was very hard to measure pull weight as pull location, pull speed and how the Lyman was sitting on the safety blade all affected the measurements. I got readings from 5.5 to 6.5 but I think I have it consistently around 5.6 to 5.7 now.

So no, you should not have to let it all the way out to reset. It should reset at about half the total trigger travel with only a short take up again to break the trigger after reset.

That's what I thought. When I let the trigger out about halfway, there is an audible click with a perceptible feel, which I thought was the reset. It wouldn't fire. When I would let it out all the way, I would get a second click once fully released. That's when the trigger was reset. Thanks for the measurements.

What you are describing has been exactly described by a handful of others on a few other forums. I've read them report that HK CS was very responsive and provided them a fast turn around to remedy it.

It's a lower price point relatively mass produced pistol. Some anomalies may slip through, even for HK.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm frustrated, but I know it will get fixed. I own a full size USP 9 and an HK45. Both are great, and I think HK makes great firearms. My wife was a little surprised that I was as calm as I was when I told her about it. Stuff happens... even with HK. I'll report back once everything is resolved.

Almost sounds vaguely like the false trigger reset issue with the HK45c. Be interesting to see if it is somehow similar.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I called HK today and the gentleman I talked to was very friendly. He actually asked if I had the pistol in front of me so we could check if it was an issue with a part installed improperly. Like you mentioned, JHC, it seems like others have had the same issue. Anyway, I was at work so he just provided me with a RA number and shipping label. I sent the pistol back after work, so the next update will be when I get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    I called HK today and the gentleman I talked to was very friendly. He actually asked if I had the pistol in front of me so we could check if it was an issue with a part installed improperly. Like you mentioned, JHC, it seems like others have had the same issue. Anyway, I was at work so he just provided me with a RA number and shipping label. I sent the pistol back after work, so the next update will be when I get it back.
    Was it related to that twisted wire S shaped winding spring?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I know what spring you're talking about. It's located in the right grip. He didn't mention what the exact issue others were having was, and I didn't ask. I guess I should have to know for future reference. When I was inspecting the pistol myself, I noticed it. It was almost free floating. With a pull of the trigger it looked liked it would jump a little. Since I'm not yet familiar with the internal operation of the VP9, I wasn't sure if it was normal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    I know what spring you're talking about. It's located in the right grip. He didn't mention what the exact issue others were having was, and I didn't ask. I guess I should have to know for future reference. When I was inspecting the pistol myself, I noticed it. It was almost free floating. With a pull of the trigger it looked liked it would jump a little. Since I'm not yet familiar with the internal operation of the VP9, I wasn't sure if it was normal or not.
    Oh man I saw a guys video of that spring doing that exact thing on youtube. If I can track it down I'll add the link to it.

EDIT: Per the discussion that accompanied this, some users felt the amount of up and down movement was a good bit more than the norm. OTOH it's not clear to me that this was causing a reset issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbDSO...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by JHC; 09-30-2014 at 12:47 PM.

User Tag List