Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Practical Competition Rules

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I agree. Is there a way to fix the points to better reflect the marginal differences?
    Simple have it be:
    5-4-4-1 for major and 5-3-3-1 for minor. You still get that penalty for shooting minor, and you get to reflect that periphery hits aren't as valuable.

Why is there a penalty for shooting minor?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Why is there a penalty for shooting minor?
    Because in most divisions you get more rounds in the magazine, and slightly less recoil.

I'm not versed enough in the scoring to dissect this. Can someone help?

Given a major and minor competitor... How much better does minor have to perform to beat major? How many more mistakes can major make, and still beat minor? Does it make that much difference?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I'm not versed enough in the scoring to dissect this. Can someone help?

Given a major and minor competitor... How much better does minor have to perform to beat major? How many more mistakes can major make, and still beat minor? Does it make that much difference?
    Heh...it does indeed make a big difference.

As a rough comparison, a person shooting Minor has to shoot half the number of C-zone hits as a Major-scoring competitor, in the same amount of time, to tie them. To beat a Major shooter, a Minor shooter has to do better than that either on points or time or both.

It's a big difference. Especially in circumstances where it becomes convenient for a person to shoot Cs or Ds - such as when there's a no shoot covering most of the A-zone. It's a lot safer strategy to deliberately shoot a C and stay well away from the no-shoot and penalty. It's also convenient to allow Cs shooting on the move. With Major, you don't pay a lot for those Cs - if you shoot A/C on every target that's still 90% of the available points. With Minor, that would be 80% of the available points. It is normally recommended that a person trying to win in USPSA shoots 90 to 95% of the available points.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Because in most divisions you get more rounds in the magazine, and slightly less recoil.
    Do we know this for certain? I've always been inclined to believe it was purely an antiquated ballistics thing.

Do we know this for certain? I've always been inclined to believe it was purely an antiquated ballistics thing.
    It may have started that way, but with the limited requiring .40 caliber for major, and the magazine limits on revolver and single stack it is simply part of the game now.

Hmm. Still not sure I agree with it. If someone wants to shoot a gun with less rounds and potentially more challenging recoil go ahead, not my fault. The differences would be reconciled with a possibly more favorable trigger.

Hmm. Still not sure I agree with it. If someone wants to shoot a gun with less rounds and potentially more challenging recoil go ahead, not my fault. The differences would be reconciled with a possibly more favorable trigger.
    First the guns are typically the same, just different calibers. And in reality what people shoot are pretty much set these days.

Serious limited and open competitors shoot major. Revolver is minor. And single stack depends on the match. Most shoot major, but there are some matches where it is advantageous to shoot minor. For example at the recent IPSC World Shoot Rob chose to shoot minor because the stages favored the increased magazine capacity of minor.

But the difference is that using minor/major scoring the shooter can make the choice. I prefer that to some idiot at headquarters deciding things for me.

Again, this only applies to Limited, Open, Single stack and revolver. All of the production shooters are scored in minor, so that is why almost everyone shoots a 9mm making 130pf. That round is easy to shoot in plastic guns and really easy to shoot in the metal guns. It is just a given that if you want to be competitive in limited or open, that you are going to shoot major. I don't see too many people complaining about it. The equipment matters in this particular game. Because of that, you are going to see people using/building guns that are at the limit of the rules in order to get every single advantage they can. If you want to handicap yourself and shoot minor, that is on you. At the end of the day, there are a lot of variables, you have to be fast and accurate. This isn't an "or" game.

User Tag List