Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

Claude's famous Clip Grip/Tyler T-grip/rubber slip on grip combo has proven for many people to be a winning combo

Chuck, it looks to me like the Desantis grip plus slip on grip would create the same set up? Just wondering if speed loaders will clear the Desantis grip? I've searched and can't seem to get a solid answer on it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I'll see if Claude can chime in, he has run that set up and I have not.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Chuck, it looks to me like the Desantis grip plus slip on grip would create the same set up? Just wondering if speed loaders will clear the Desantis grip? I've searched and can't seem to get a solid answer on it.
    Without having one at hand, I would imagine that any clearance issue could be remedied by removing some material. Ayoob used to whittle on Pachmayer rubber grips with a knife until the speedloaders cleared.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I finally ordered Claude's snub DVD this week. I've decided to carry snub full time but not until my skills are where I want them. I'm not 100% committed to speed loaders yet but want to work both methods until I decide what works best for me. I plan on putting both to the test in some local IDPA matches this winter. Obviously, I won't be out to win just testing under stress.

Heck, maybe I'll drag out dads PPC model 10 set up and actually try to compete once or twice.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    For those of you who carry a speedloader in a pants pocket, have you ever had the rounds come out?
    I have a time or two. One was with an N frame 44 loader, a Comp 1 that started leaking rounds when carried in a split 6 over the belt carrier. I've had an HKS J loader dump the rounds a time or two in the pocket when the knob was accidently twisted somehow, so far the Safarilands haven't dumped rounds other than the N mentioned. They have simply hung up a time or two, both J and N, when a huge amount of force wouldn't release the rounds, then,...would. Nothing obvious was wrong.

Speed loaders seem really simple, and they are, but can have quirks. If they fail at any time, they should be destroyed on the spot is my take on it now.

HKS loaders carried for long periods in a belt carrier can wear the points that hold the rims and lock up when trying to release them (knob wont turn), Had it happen to about 5 of mine over time.

I may be harder on the J loaders than some, I pocket carry one when doing construction work. They can get sawdust, dirt and sand in them. They usually are OK, other than the one that stuck, and the HKS loaders that dumped rounds when the knobs were accidently turned.

Back in the day it was common for a guy to have to break out the sander paper and get to work on grips, even for service sized wheelguns, so that a speedloader would work.

Yeah, even when S&W came out with the "speedloader cut" on the Goncalo Alves target stocks, you still needed to remove some wood to prevent snags.

I have the Werner set-up, as well as the DeSantis clip grips for my Airweight.

The Werner set-up, due to the angle of the, "clip," compared to the DeSantis, was more comfortable, secure and durable for me. My only, "addition," to the excellent system that Claude worked out with that, is that I replaced the slip on Hogue grip with a bunch of thick, evenly spaced rubber bands. Kinda retro, but it IS for a revolver, after all!

Rubber bands on one's J or K frame snubby, at the top of the grip frame just beneath the recoil shoulder, were all the rage among plain clothes cops back in the day. They allowed one to carry his piece mexican, without it dropping through your pants and out of the trouser leg.

User Tag List