Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Picked this out of the several potentially applicable threads to necro, just because it's the oldest of the ones I read through that came up, and P-F threads should live forever.

If one had a chance to pick up one or more J-frame Jet Loaders at only moderately usurious price, would one bother? Or does the additional bulk of the big Jet Loader knob put them in the "harder to conceal and slower into action than a second J-frame" category?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Depends on your philosophy. Me? I never pass on extra accessories of any type if I can afford them.

But I’ll say this, in years of carrying J-Frames, since they are pocket or shoulder holster guns for me, I never carry more than a speed strip or two.

Only belt carried guns get speed loaders. And I almost never carry a J-frame on the belt.

So long as this thread is back, I'll chime in... only because I am a pretty die-hard snobby guy.

On desantis clip grip: these are now a hard no-go for me, thanks to @JodyH first pointing out that the medallion screw can come loose and lock up the gun. Forget that. I haven't spent decades in the vociferous online "no-lock S&W" camp just to have some cheap plastic grips come in to do substitute Murphy's law duty.

On reloads: I have at least 2 HKS speedloaders in my pockets anytime I have a 5-shot snub. HKS will clear the common stocks (uncle mikes version of spiegel, OEM J-rubber, and flat panels with a Tyler-T--a combo which gives the best clearance).

As to reload speed, any wheelgun is glacial, relatively speaking. But Js don't have to be any more glacial than a K or GP with HKS.

When I ran ECQC with centennials (one for live, one for sims), @SouthNarc even commented that I wasn't slowing things down with the HKS reloads. Plenty else to troubleshoot in an up close environment like that, and reload speed with a snub is not one of them. JMO.

Again, I'm no expert, but I've shot a good amount of J-frame over the last several years, relatively speaking, and that's my observations on spare/reload prep. FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    So long as this thread is back, I'll chime in... only because I am a pretty die-hard snobby guy.
    Hadn't noticed, but I'll memorialize this just to mess with you later.
    Not another dime.

CWM11B
    How much? I have a few for both K and J frames. I carry one in a JOX pouch when I'm carrying a snub. New they are around 40 bucks IIRC

Correction, just checked, 30 bucks new
    Last edited by CWM11B; 11-06-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Hadn't noticed, but I'll memorialize this just to mess with you later.
    LoL, F’ing autocorrect. Although, that’s certainly true too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Correction, just checked, 30 bucks new
    I've managed to round up a decent fleet for J and K frames. I think my average price paid is in the low teens. Haven't seen J's anywhere close to $30 in well over a year of looking.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    If I’m carrying a snub, it’s usually in a pocket. If I bother carrying a minimal amount of extra ammo, it’s in a DeSantis 2x2x2 carrier, the purpose of which would be able to top off a partially fired cylinder. (I prefer this to using a so-called “speed strip.”) But if I feel like having a speedloader too, then I carry it in a Safariland Split 5 pouch, inverted on my belt, near the gig line. This method conceals pretty well for me, and is much faster and more consistent than trying to fish a loose speedloader out of a pocket. Plus I prefer to carry other useful crap in my remaining side pocket.

Behold:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Picked this out of the several potentially applicable threads to necro, just because it's the oldest of the ones I read through that came up, and P-F threads should live forever.

If one had a chance to pick up one or more J-frame Jet Loaders at only moderately usurious price, would one bother? Or does the additional bulk of the big Jet Loader knob put them in the "harder to conceal and slower into action than a second J-frame" category?
    Having used both jet loaders and Speed Beez, I'd recommend the readily available Speed Beez instead of the jet loader. I've used Speed Beez to reload relatively quickly on the clock, and have found the loader to be easier to conceal than a Jet loader.

User Tag List