Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA deletes flat-footed reload rule, wants feedback on new division

IDPA deletes flat-footed reload rule, wants feedback on new division

Just got an email blast from HQ with the following:
    The first, and one of the biggest announcements, is on the flatfooted reload. While we thought we were headed the right direction with this, it became obvious that the membership at large did not like this new rule and that we missed the mark by implementing it. The members have spoken using the suggestion tool and we listened. When this version of the rule book becomes effective, the flat footed reload will not be gone. Big cheers all around we are sure.
    That's pretty awesome. Also in the same email, IDPA has announced they're going to add a new division, and they want your feedback on which one to implement first:

The final specifics of each option are yet to be determined, as we want the members opinion first on which option to peruse.

Option 1: Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) – this would be for double action or single action guns. This division would be largely like SSP otherwise but the gun size would be limited to guns of M&P compact or Glock 19 size.

Option 2: Laser and Optic Pistol (LOP) – this division would allow for the mounting of a laser or slide mounted optic on the handgun. The optic would have to be mounted between the rear of the ejection port and the rear of the slide. Both single action and double action would be allowed. We might also add revolver to this division.

Remember, the complete requirements are not yet set for these divisions but we want you to tell us the direction to work on. To let us know, please got to www.surveymonkey.com/s/JT6HJDF to make your choice.
    I voted for optics carry pistol personally, because I just got a gun with an RMR on it.

The only sad news from this email is that IDPA is killing ESR, which makes me sad but also makes sense, because literally no one shoots ESR. There were less than 10 ESR shooters at Nats this year. But optics! I will totally shoot an optics division in IDPA.

Damn... This is definitely a welcome reversal.

I am not sure if I care one way or the other regarding the proposed CCP division, though I do think it would be nice to see more actual carry pieces rather than barely disguised raceguns just small enough to fit in the box and under a fishing vest. I think a laser/optics division would be a good platform for experimentation, and may give the impetus to drive another generation's worth of evolution in the technology (particularly RMR, and maybe even things like emitter positioning and activation for the laser) - but I would likely just be a freerider on this wave, as I am unlikely to move to optics for a long while. Though it would be nice to have really advanced technology tested and ready for when my eyesight gets worse as I get old(er)

I'm super pissed about the World Shoot being moved from Puerto Rico. "oh hey, we have unprecedented demand for our event to compete outside the continental event! Oh I know, lets fucking move the most successful event we've ever had BACK into the US because that's obviously what people want!"

Flying to Tulsa is expensive too because it's in the middle of nowhere!

So the shooter will be free to reload on the move right?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Personally...I would love to see the addition of appendix carry for IDPA, including appendix reloads. I know, wishful thinking.

I am going to vote for CCP. I think that is a great addition due to the popularity of 19s, M&PCs, etc. I think it would push some people into a new challenge which is always a good thing. What's also awesome as they have said that "G19 size" this includes a lot of firearms. P2000, CZ P-07, SP2022 and other models that people don't shoot but that I have a personal affinity for lol

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    So the shooter will be free to reload on the move right?
    I don't know how the rule fix will be implemented.

Site Supporter
    Glock 19 as a compact gun? Huh - did they mean Glock 26 sizes? I don't regard my 19 as particular compact. A gun that normally carries 16 rounds isn't small.

I don't get it. Why not Poppa Glock, Mamma Glock and Baby Glock?

Well, there go my two flat footed penalties - all for naught recently.

That's the smartest move I've seen outta IDPA in years. I'd vote for both if I was a member.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I don't get CCP when written for the G19/M&P C/Sig 229 size. Aren't the guns likely to show up at club matches for that division already running and effectively competing in SSP?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I don't get CCP when written for the G19/M&P C/Sig 229 size. Aren't the guns likely to show up at club matches for that division already running and effectively competing in SSP?
    I think the idea is to separate guns that are truly practical for carry from everything else that shows up in SSP. Shooting 4 inch, 24 oz Glock 19 against 4.9 inch 38 oz Beretta 92 is hardly a fair competition, yet they are both SSP now.

I think this is a right move. They should get CCP for compact guns, set a minimum trigger pull weight and allow appendix carry.

User Tag List