Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 Drill

99 Drill

Here's the drill I designed for a quick 1 hour, 100 round range session.

Range: 7-15yd

Target: 4×6 card (advanced: 3×5 card)

Start position: holstered concealed, hands relaxed at sides

Rounds fired: 99

This was developed as a way to practice fundamentals (marksmanship at speed, draws, and reloads) with limited time and ammunition. Individual drills are shot multiple times to provide actual training benefit rather than just serving as a test of current skill level.

1. 7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: draw and shoot three (10 times, total 30 rounds)
    2. 7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: draw, fire one, reload, fire two (10 times, total 30 rounds)
    3. 10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: draw and shoot three (10 times, total 30 rounds)
    4. 15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: draw and shoot three (3 times, total 9 rounds)

Either 4×6″ or 3×5″ cards can be used as targets. The 3×5 version is obviously significantly more difficult. All shots must be fired before the end of the PAR time; shots fired after the PAR count as misses.

We are diminished
    The 99 Drill also makes for a great test when you're low on time or ammo. Some slow fire group shooting and the 99 Drill tells me a lot about how well I can shoot a particular pistol at a particular time.

Diligence on the 99 drill has shaved .25 sec. off my draw to first hit on the FAST and shaved another .30 sec. off my reloads.
    The draw to hit at 10 yards in 3.5 sec. has really increased my confidence on 3x5's at 7 yards.

This looks like a great drill to do at the NRA range (for those in NoVA) when it's crowded and you are limited to one hour. Par times can be setup using their programmable edge & face target system.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Did this drill for the first time today and I'm a fan even though the 3x5 card version kicked my butt. I struggled early on with the par times but was able to hit them or come close towards 9/10th repetition. I'm debating going to 4x6 cards next time but think I'll just stay at 3x5 and swear a little more. I did my 3 fast runs after completing the 99 drill and got two personal bests. I cut noticeable time on the draw and split on second 3x5 card shot.

What par time would you recommend for 1,3,4 if I occasionally did some of the repetitions SHO? Or would this be poor practice for SHO?

JodyH, you did a great job putting this together (99 drill).
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm stuck at the house, helping my wife recover from her surgery, and don't have much better to do. So here it is, the 99 drill in pdf format:

http://www.dvctargets.com/misc/99_drill_basic.pdf
    http://www.dvctargets.com/misc/99_drill_advanced.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I'm stuck at the house, helping my wife recover from her surgery, and don't have much better to do. So here it is, the 99 drill in pdf format:

http://www.dvctargets.com/misc/99_drill_basic.pdf
    http://www.dvctargets.com/misc/99_drill_advanced.pdf
    John,
    I only can see the Drill description and a large black rectangle. Did I miss something or is it the intended hit zone?
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

That's the target area.

double-Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thanks!
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

User Tag List