Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GADPA Discontinues IDPA Affiliation

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    A very well known Match Director once told me: "what we are selling is entertainment." Interesting, clever, and fun COF should be part of the game. Perhaps there is a demand for "old school" type COF...but I don't see it. Participants are looking for a fun challenge, not just to see how fast and accurate they can shoot a stage.
    Cody
    I disagree. I can enjoy a challenging shooting problem without reenacting a ludicrous scene from a poorly written movie.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I disagree. I can enjoy a challenging shooting problem without reenacting a ludicrous scene from a poorly written movie.
    I can, too. But I don't think that is representative of the majority of action pistol shooters. And, as a Match Director, I need to fill out squads to make matches a success and to make enough to justify the time and investment. I am catering to my customers and a competitive marketplace. IDPA sanctioned matches have more than doubled in the last 5 years. Clubs are competing for customers. One way to do that is to jazz up the stages with interesting props, challenging shooting positions, etc. While some of it seems corny, it challenges competitors mentally and makes it more fun for others. USPSA stages I have shot recently involved shaky bridges, use of vehicles, carrying a briefcase forcing strong hand, etc. It's not just IDPA.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I can, too. But I don't think that is representative of the majority of action pistol shooters. And, as a Match Director, I need to fill out squads to make matches a success and to make enough to justify the time and investment. I am catering to my customers and a competitive marketplace. IDPA sanctioned matches have more than doubled in the last 5 years. Clubs are competing for customers. One way to do that is to jazz up the stages with interesting props, challenging shooting positions, etc. While some of it seems corny, it challenges competitors mentally and makes it more fun for others. USPSA stages I have shot recently involved shaky bridges, use of vehicles, carrying a briefcase forcing strong hand, etc. It's not just IDPA.
    Cody
    Get me in and out of the match in time to enjoy the rest of a weekend day with my family and you can keep the props.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I'm interested in the AIWB issue. I shoot with a national IDPA match director and a tiger team dude. When they were asked at a match by someone outraged over not be able to use a AIWB their response was that they did not trust the safety and handling procedures of all that come to the match. So how does one qualify a person with an AIWB as compared to a standard holster. Are they more risky than the IWB or OWBs on the hip? That the folks protesting to IDPA hidden bunker command are competent is one thing but the average newcomer. Having had a few Serpa leg shots around here and almost having a guy shoot me in the foot on holstering - I'm curious to the expertise vs. novice dimension on this equipment issue.

Given that - yep - some of the rules are quite stupid.

I'd agree that as a total generality, self-inflicting with AIWB may have a lot worse result than self-inflicting with a strong side holster.

That said, I think muzzle direction can be controlled to have even less intersection with the body in AIWB than with a strong side IWB rig. It doesn't necessarily have to be the case that AIWB carries a higher penalty for NDing.

USPSA has allowed appendix carry I think forever – which has been popular at times as a race holster, albeit OWB.

If match officials are that concerned that any particular person is actually going to shoot themselves, I would think they'd just not be allowed to shoot regardless of their holster position.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    If match officials are that concerned that any particular person is actually going to shoot themselves, I would think they'd just not be allowed to shoot regardless of their holster position.
    That is more than reasonable. I don't think we're dealing with the brightest people or the most reasonable people. If we were smart and reasonable change might be occurring.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Assuming that's the reason why.....

It couldn't possibly be membership dissatisfaction with many aspects of the new rule book, the process that was used to put it in place, and the comments made by HQ.
    Likely not.

This likely has a lot more to do with a bunch of butthurt on both sides. GADPA for wanting to be IDPA, right up until they want to be something else, and IDPA for... Joyce.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Not as strange as IDPA banning a very popular pistol the day before Nationals.
    Except that this isn't really what happened. But why get in the way of a good IDPA bash?

A very well known Match Director once told me: "what we are selling is entertainment." ...
    Cody
    Frank Glover posted that same sentiment on the IDPA yahoo mailing list around ten years ago.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/76989
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 10-29-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Frank Glover posted that same sentiment on the IDPA yahoo mailing list around ten years ago.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/76989
    It is the person who said that to me...I just didn't want to "out him" without asking.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List