Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: old 640 or new 640

old 640 or new 640

I have an opportunity to pick up a gently used (under 500 rounds) S&W 640 (the old style 640 in .38 caliber only and with 1 7/8" barrel) for about the same price as a NIB 640-1 (but not the 640 Pro) chambered in .357 magnum and with a 2 1/4" barrel. The old 640 has had an action job by Denny Reichard, so it has a very nice trigger. This and a few extra add-ons account for the high price.

I am wondering if there are any advantages to the old 640s that make them preferable to the new magnum 640s, or if one should still go with the slightly larger and slightly heavier magnum 640. Even if I could, I would not shoot magnums out of a j-frame, so being chambered in .357 is not a selling point for me.

I generally carry a Glock in an IWB rig and a 642 in an ankle rig. I don't see this changing regardless of which model of 640 I might buy. If I buy either, it would be used primarily as a high round count training gun (not a range gun - I have a range-only 642 for that role). There might be times when I swap out my Glock for a 640 in an IWB rig and carry a pair of J-frames, or should age or injury render me recoil sensitive, the heavier 640 may have to replace my 642, but either version of 640 could fill this new roll, and neither model is really better suited than the other.

The old 640 has no frame lock. If I buy a new magnum 640, it won't have the frame lock.

So again, given the same price, what would you all recommend - a used 640 in .38 only with an action job or a NIB 640 magnum with a nice trigger (just not quite up to Denny's standards), slightly longer barrel, slightly heavier weight. Neither would be carried in a pocket and neither would be loaded with magnums. I don't care about how much I could sell one for vs the other - I don't intend to sell whatever I buy.
    Last edited by Moonshot; 10-27-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: correct spelling error

If possible I would buy the Pro, the sights make 25 yd head shots doable.

Buy that .38 640, NOW!, and send it to me, immediately!

Chuck Haggard

Buy that .38 640, NOW!, and send it to me, immediately!
    How do you really feel?

Seriously, what is it about the .38 caliber 640 that makes you say that? The only obvious difference (to me at least) beyond caliber is it's a little lighter and a little smaller than the magnum version, making carry a little easier, but is it that much easier? I really don't know.

The other difference is the action job. Denny does sweet work, but I've played with a few 640 magnums lately (all with that goofy hole in the side, so I wasn't going to buy them), and they all had really nice triggers. Not as nice as Denny's, but nothing to complain about. Compared to the SP101 I was playing with, WOW!

I used to have one of those back when I in a fit of stupid sold it. That gun is a all steel clone of my 642, which I could really use for range work, and Denny does a hell of a trigger job.

Made the same mistake as Chuck. Traded an early 640 away. I'd like to have it back and check every gun shop I walk into for one.

Did NOT make the same mistake. Still got mine.

Moonshot, the reasons we prefer the "older" gun is mainly because they are a bit trimmer (in the form of a smaller frame/shorter barrel), and some have no MIM parts. Nothing wrong with MIM parts; S&W figured out long ago how to make them work properly. It's simply a traditionalist thing.

Granted, the smaller frame/shorter barrel business is miniscule... but noticeable.

All of this matters because the experienced J frame man is not even thinking about using "magnums"; which is the only "advantage" offered by the newer guns. He's going to load his snubby with .38s... Hence, the .357 capability of the "new" 640 is irrelevant.

I would go with the old 640 .38 without hesitation.

Old, no doubt about it.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I'm no SME, but I do like wheelies. I'd jump on the old one too, unless... Your eyes are j-frame challenged and the new 640 has the pinned in blued front sight. I find that sight WAY easier to pick up, plus you can get it swapped for fancier options--something that takes serious commitment with original recipe centennial Js.

But, yeah, the old one is probably the pick of the litter.

User Tag List