Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W and Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I tried every single light on the market, including Glock's suggested Glock light, all of them caused out guns to choke a LOT. The light hanging off of the dust cover does two things, it takes flex out of the dust cover and adds weight to the frame, both of which add slide velocity to a system that was on the ragged edge of reliability to begin with.
    If I were personally going to hang a light on a .40 cal Glock, it would be a G35. They just doesn't seem to have the same problem. Maybe the heavier slide is enough to make the difference? LSP SWAT had 60+ G35s in service for a long time without any light problems.

Something interesting is LSP transitioned from SIGP220s/228s to RTF G22/17s a few years ago. The SWAT G35s were worn out and have essentially been replaced by the general issue RTF 22s. As last I heard, the RTF 22s were running fine with TLRs. I guess it's like a box of chocolates; you never know what you are going to get.

Given the choice, I'd pass on a G22 of any generation if I planned to run a WML. I'd go G35 if I HAD to use .40 but I'd MUCH prefer a 17/34.

The feeding issue is simply excessive slide velocity. In the case of the G22s that exhibit this issue the nose of the rounds don't even make it up to the feedramp, they stub into the front of the magazine tube. This is due to the slide completely outrunning the ability of the magazine to keep up.

The original M4s had similar feeding/timing issues. The fix did not involve a heavier magazine spring.

Here is my old Glock .40. I don't know what happened, but nothing works real well in it anymore........weird. No light, 100% high quality law enforcement factory ammunition (fed contract stuff).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Here is my old Glock .40. I don't know what happened, but nothing works real well in it anymore........weird. No light, 100% high quality law enforcement factory ammunition (fed contract stuff).
    You were obviously limp wristing the gun. Learn to shoot, slacker.

What I'm getting hung up on is this - in Angus's example the faster moving training ammo did not exhibit any issues but the slower moving duty ammo did exhibit significant problems. You would think that the faster training ammo would cause higher slide velocities. Could it be that the hollow points were digging into the plastic walls of the magazine? Although Angus described it as an internal stove pipe. Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of one of his jams.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    DB you weren't using that as a hammer were you? A little JB weld and it will be as good as new.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Much of their training ammo was frangible, thus a lighter bullet.

Bingo!
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Much of their training ammo was frangible, thus a lighter bullet.
    OK didn't get that from his post just that the only round they had issues with was the Duty round.
    Scott

Some of the reports I've seen about the G22/WML issue recommended using a 180gr. instead of 165 or 155gr. rounds as the guns seemed to run better with the heavier rounds. These would seem to go with what has been mentioned about velocity and lighter bullet weights. I kinda makes me sick because my PD switched to Gen.4 G22s w/TLR-1 WML. 15 months in and we've been lucky to have had no issues but I'm just waiting for problems to arise. What would you recommend for a proactive approach to mitigating the issues? Keeping RSAs and mag springs on hand to replace on or prior to recommended intervals?

User Tag List