Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W and Glocks

My friend with the .40 and .357Sig barrels for his G20 just runs the stock 10mm mags without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The various FBI .40 loads that I have seen have all been downloaded. Back when we were having issues and I kept getting hit with "but the FBI isn't having any problems" and had to explain to one person after another that they had proprietary (and that time) secret NDA from Speer download 165gr Gold Dot running 950fps instead of 1185fps. That lighter loading made a huge difference.
    I happened into some of the mid-velocity 165gr Gold Dot back when I shot .40. Very soft-shooting and very accurate. Did not expand well, especially through barriers, in my hobbyist level testing.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I was told by a reliable source earlier this year that they have transitioned to 9mm Glocks.

As for using optics in their pistols, it's also my understanding that the Safariland holster in Multicam with the optic shroud (DO models) was designed for that unit.
    Last time I spoke with people who know, I was told they were moving considering the switch back to G19s for high capacity, and 1911s for precision work. I'm unfortunately not in a position anymore to confirm with any greater certainty...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    There are a lot of G19s being carried by folks in the US military
    I'm pretty sure a pistol without a manual safety/visible hammer would give someone at the Army Ordnance board (is that still a thing?) a pretty bad fit of the vapors.

ETA: were it to offered for adoption by the entire force and not just special warriorbros.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm pretty sure a pistol without a manual safety/visible hammer would give someone at the Army Ordnance board (is that still a thing?) a pretty bad fit of the vapors.

ETA: were it to offered for adoption by the entire force and not just special warriorbros.
    Having seen too many soldiers killed in too many stupid accidents during my time in the Army (admittedly, a time when the accidental death rate was much higher than now), I would be worried about any weapon without a manual safety being made general issue as well.

Now Glock could, and has, put a manual safety on a G19 . . . .

However, in the end, with the administration dedicated to pushing defense spending down to just about 2% of GDP, I don't think we are going to see anything but well-worn M9's for decades to come.

As for the JSOC and Socom units, they will get the money to buy what they need, but if they shoot Glocks I'd expect them to keeping heading to 9mm's, if they shoot SIGs, I think those will stay 9mm, and if they use 1911's or H&K .45(c)'s, I imagine that those will stay in the inventory for a while but that normal usage will be 9mm.

Site Supporter
    I have been doing a little research, but haven't really found an answer. I don't think my question warrants it's own thread, so I thought I would ask it here.

Have the latter gen4 G22 fixed the issues that have been mentioned in this thread ?
    I ask because I have an opportunity to buy a new(ish) production G22 for a good price, and I am wondering whether it's worth a buying or not.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    I have been doing a little research, but haven't really found an answer. I don't think my question warrants it's own thread, so I thought I would ask it here.

Have the latter gen4 G22 fixed the issues that have been mentioned in this thread ?
    I ask because I have an opportunity to buy a new(ish) production G22 for a good price, and I am wondering whether it's worth a buying or not.
    My quick answer is that if you get it at a good price and it is not an early Gen 4, and if you mainly shoot 180 gr. loads through it, you probably won't regret it. Some early Gen 4's had lots of problems, of course, and hot loads and .40 cal. Glocks don't seem to be a good combination. Even then, though, there are folks who fire nothing but hot loads and haven't and any problems with their particular pistols.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I will mainly be running factory ammo and the odd reload.

I'm not interested in hotroding it.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    My guess is that the .40 is not going to be a huge focus going forward. Instead, I think the world is going to go increasingly to the 9mm...
    You and your crystal ball…

So, dust it off and tell us who's going to be the next president.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    My quick answer is that if you get it at a good price and it is not an early Gen 4, and if you mainly shoot 180 gr. loads through it, you probably won't regret it. Some early Gen 4's had lots of problems, of course, and hot loads and .40 cal. Glocks don't seem to be a good combination. Even then, though, there are folks who fire nothing but hot loads and haven't and any problems with their particular pistols.
    How early is early? I picked up a Gen 4 G35 that was probably made in 4/2012, haven' had the change to put a ton of ammo through it. I've had 1 malfunction so far (of only ~250) but that was most likely shooteri nduced.

User Tag List