Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 94 30-30 accuracy?

(Sigh) I have been found - short - in the Gun Pr0n game. Good work Malamute.

My SASS Loadout:
    • Spaghetti Winchester 1866 in 357
    • Chinchester 1897
    • 2 Old Model Vaquero Bisleys
    Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot; 10-27-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    http://notonemoregunlaw.blogspot.com/

This thread is awesome.

Many great photos, but the first picture in post number 13 is awesome!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Many great photos, but the first picture in post number 13 is awesome!
    Yep, that's my favorite too.

Malamute, so this 20" has a Lyman "56" whereas you first recommended the Lyman 66. Is that correct or a typo.

So I take it the Lyman 66 is now made of aluminum vs steel like the old ones. Good enough for most purposes I suppose. ? Right?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Yep, that's my favorite too.

Malamute, so this 20" has a Lyman "56" whereas you first recommended the Lyman 66. Is that correct or a typo.

So I take it the Lyman 66 is now made of aluminum vs steel like the old ones. Good enough for most purposes I suppose. ? Right?
    I think the No 56 was made from the late 20's or early 30's to the late 40's. The 66 was the next model that took its place in the Lyman line. That old 94 carbine in the picture had the first No 56 I'd seen on it. I started picking them up for other guns I had, paying between $25 and $40 for each one. I've heard they are in the $125 to $200 or so range now. The 56's had a little more style, being rounded off on the edges, and the elevation lock was a thumb nut on the side. The 66's are probably more practical, and have a push button elevation release that allows you to either change elevation or remove the slide entirely. The early ones were steel, the later ones are aluminum alloy. Unless you look around on ebay or other parts sites, collectible gunsight websites or ask guys that handle them, the older sights may not be easy to find.

Winchester used to offer the No 56's on model 71's and on model 64's as a factory option. Theyd also put them on any gun if asked, back when they would do special order work.

No 56 on a 94

I have three Model 94's. a 1974 .30-30, an early Eighties .22 Mag and a 94 AE post safety .357 Mag. My .30-30 groups about 3" at 100", as it was my dad's and given to me I'll keep it and pass it along to my son. My brother got his 1961 .32 Special which will group about 1 1/2" at 100".
    To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between a pre and post '64 is the older guns had solid steel pins and the later models had rolled pins. Other than nostalgia I don't buy into the hype of the superior quality of the pre '64 guns.

My .357 Mag is my favorite rifle. It's fun to shoot, is superbly accurate at 50" and with the 16" barrel the best little brush popping gun I've ever carried. It doesn't have the nicer, darker wood of the older guns but I'm ok with that. :-)
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between a pre and post '64 is the older guns had solid steel pins and the later models had rolled pins. Other than nostalgia I don't buy into the hype of the superior quality of the pre '64 guns.
    There is a definite difference in the overall quality of fit and finish, and in the materials of some of the parts. It isn't earth shaking, but definitely there. I've owned dozens, and handled probably hundreds of the various types.

Some make the pre-64 guns out as a Holy Grail gun. They are better than the post-64 guns, but changes started coming long before 64. In the teens they stopped polishing all of the tooling marks out of the sides of the levers, at other times they changed the hammer checkering to grooves, went to ramped front sights, shorter fore end wood, different tang inletting, and other small changes. It was a long gradual series of changes that was just the reality of building guns at a cost effective rate. The changes in 64 were the most dramatic set of changes at any one time.

First thread I've ever subscribed to.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Back to my Winchester lever guns, here are two pre-64 30-30s, and for fun, a Marlin .218 Bee.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've had my first Winchester 1894 for about a year now. I've wanted one for quite some time and finally saved up a little cash to get it. Now I'd love to buy a second one.

It's a new production coming out of Japan and the fit, finish, and function is awesome.

I found the stock buckhorn sight impossible to use so I put some skinner sights on it and I've gotten 2" groups at 100 yards. I've been reloading my own ammo for it saving a ton of money. I'm basically duplicating Hornady's LeverEvolution round.

If I could only have one long gun, this would be it. I love the size, the way the action works, and it's just so much fun to shoot.

Just got back from a 3 day hunting/camping trip up in the mountains. Unfortunately, didn't see anything that was legal to shoot. The gun is so light and easy to handle. Hiking for hours and carrying it around without a sling is no problem.

Here are a few pics.

God Bless,
    David

User Tag List