Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Winchester 94 30-30 accuracy?

Necrobump: here's the rear sight on the gun now. Any idea what it is? Probably going to put a factory buckhorn on.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Its sideways,....

But, that is the factory rear sight I believe. Theres a part missing, the sighting plate. Should have the plate with two small screws that hold it to the part you have.

Look here, its shown in various angles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=winc...-MCB4Q_AUIBygC

A receiver peep sight is very easy to install, its like 5 minutes with a screwdriver, the rear barrel sight is usually removed and a sight slot blank installed. You may be fine with the barrel sight though.

I may have the part you need, let me go look.

ETA: OK, I saw your other pic, yes that's the factory sight. The sighting [piece is missing. The one I found has been filed on. Theres another place I may have the sight part,...or, I found a Willams Foolproof receiver sight. Needs one screw, I didn't find both mounting screws. Its got a weird spot ground into the back, it looks like somebody fitted it to a Marlin and the ejector was rubbing (the sight model fits Marlins and Winchesters), but you cant see it when its on the gun. If you want it, I'll send it to you.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-04-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Malamute, thank you so much for sharing your expert insight! I finally understand now. I really appreciate the offer on the Williams, but at this point in my life I really don't care for peep sights. I much prefer a post and notch. So that being the case, it looks like I can get the rear blade from MGW for like $7. I think I'll start there. Thanks again for helping me understand!

Side rant: it's amazing to me how you can work in a shop for 15 years, be the go-to answer guy, and still be clueless about so many things. I can get down pretty well on optics, silencers, AR's, and semi-auto pistols. Shotguns were a mystery until I spent the last 2 years studying them hardcore. Lever guns and revolvers still mystify me.
    Food Court Apprentice

OK, try the sight part and see how it works out.

One note, and one that's been lost over time,...back in the day, the stepped elevator for the barrel sights were supposed to be for ranging, not just a random convenient thing to sight in at whatever point worked, and a set of otherwise useless steps. The lowest step was supposed to be 50 yards, the next 100 and so on up the 6 steps in 50 yard increments. There were 3 different elevators for different cartridge groups so the steps would work semi-correctly. That's the reason theres a separate adjustment with the sight plate, and the older rifle type barrel sights had a small center piece which adjusted. So, if you feel adventurous, you can try that. I sighted one rifle in that way, I can hit the 300 yard plate with it on the top step, but its not like its something Id shoot at a deer or animal with.

Your useless trivia bit for the day.

If the bead front sight isn't working well for you, theres been a umber of people that made the "sourdough" type front sight blades over the years. They are a square blade sight with a angled brass rear face to help catch light in poor light conditions. Theres also scads of newer type front sights, fiber optic and what have you. The idea of a red dot sight on an older type lever gun is growing on me. Theres a no drill mount available.

As to your side rant, I know a little about a few things, I'm in awe at the amount of other gun and shooting related things people here know about. It would be tough to be high speed on nearly everything.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-05-2016 at 12:50 PM.

I got the rear sight blade in the mail yesterday and put the rifle on paper at 100 today. Shooting 150 gr Federal Fusions at 100 yds. Not bad for irons I guess. It'll kill a deer. Might need to put some left windage on it.

Food Court Apprentice

That should work.

Most will shoot into about 2 1/2" without too much drama. Trying different loads can help sometimes. Some will shoot pretty dang good groups, though not on demand every time perhaps. I understand 10 shot groups are the best method, but for a hunting gun, if they will group well fairly consistently with smaller number of shot groups, as in, before the barrel heats up much, I'm pretty happy.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-18-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    That should work.

Most will shoot into about 2 1/2" without too much drama. Trying different loads can help sometimes. Some will shoot pretty dang good groups, though not on demand every time perhaps. I understand 10 shot groups are the best method, but for a hunting gun, if they will group well fairly consistently with smaller number of shot groups, as in, before the barrel heats up much, I'm pretty happy.
    I'm REALLY late to this thread, but I'm going to echo Malamute:
    Try different ammo.

My 1964 winchester '94 30-30 won't shoot 150 grain accurately to save your life. After experimenting with some loads, I've found, [with mine]that I can't get any real accuracy until 160 grain. Hard cast lead does well, but my best accuracy has been with plain 'ol Remington 170 Core-loct.

Since the picture below, I've changed the sights from the Williams FP, to a set of Williams Firesights. Just easier to see in the New England hardwoods.

Do try different loads.

Name:  Win 94 30-30.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  62.5 KB
    Last edited by CSW; 12-29-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List