Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I ditched AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Yeah, but chicks dig 'em. Priorities. If I ever get around to showing up at a HiTS class I'm going to wear the skinny jeans my wife keeps buying me just to see how Darryl reacts.

In all seriousness, in my life I have to put on a specific public face at specific times, and that includes wearing clothes that are reasonably fashionable, time and place appropriate, and fit well. In those clothes I have a hard time concealing much of anything. I know that DocGKR has a different experience and a different point of view on this and maybe I've not experimented enough with tailoring, holsters and methods of carry - I don't think so, but it's possible - but ultimately I am comfortable with the compromises I make.
    Try Levis 541. Stylish in the leg but more room in the hips and thighs. They only come around every once in a while

I tried AIWB and couldn't stand it. I could barely hide a Kahr CM9 because the holster stuck out so much and it was insanely uncomfortable. I'm 6'0 and 220 but pretty fit. It just didn't work for me. IWB in a supertuck is where it's at.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    I tried AIWB and couldn't stand it. I could barely hide a Kahr CM9 because the holster stuck out so much and it was insanely uncomfortable. I'm 6'0 and 220 but pretty fit. It just didn't work for me. IWB in a supertuck is where it's at.
    What AIWB holster's did you try?

With the shorter-barreled guns, you've either got to lower the gun (and thus slow down your grip) or have the holster extend further than the muzzle in order to make them work AIWB. I have a DSG AIWB that I bought second-hand that works well enough for that purpose. It doesn't seem to have some of his newer features, though. FWIW, the only non-custom holsters I've tried that've worked for AIWB have been a Raven Vanguard 2 for a Glock and a High Noon Mr. Softy (which mysteriously fits every gun I own, but has a slow draw because of how low it rides).

Comfort is very position-based for me. Try a few different locations. You'd be surprised how much difference a quarter of an inch left or right makes.

Send me an email, I'll get ya a new version of whatever you have.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Yet another reason Tom rocks!

Based on what I've seen, AIWB seems ideal for tall skinny types. I tried concealing at 4:00 for a year or so when I started carrying, and eventually convinced myself I needed a subcompact. Kept getting smaller and smaller guns in order to conceal how I felt was necessary. It was also less comfortable, as the end of the gun would pinch my ass against car seats. A short gun with a long barrel would have been ideal, but that's a different conversation.

Once I discovered AIWB, I started backtracking, carrying larger and larger guns as I realized they all concealed the same way but that I shot the large ones much better. Larger guns were more comfortable here as well.

I am 6'6" and 200 lbs. The only other person I've come across carrying appendix was around 6'3" and also around 200 lbs. Ironically we were both carrying in JMC Kydex. That was when it clicked for me. I think people with more average body types are better off at 4:00; that's probably most people. But for me AIWB is what let me finally be comfortable carrying. All the other advantages aside, AIWB lets me pay attention to my surroundings instead of whether or not I'm concealed, which is probably the most important thing I get from it.
    Join FPC

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    What AIWB holster's did you try?
    Bravo Concealment DOS. It just wasn't comfortable at all. When I was sitting it poked me in both directions and as far as concealability, I don't know that it's any less concealable, but I feel like I was more aware of the slight bulge with it sitting on the front of me. It felt like the first time I ccw'd all over again. I was checking myself every 10 seconds. I ditched the holster, later ditched the gun for a G26 and never looked back. I'm happy with IWB, it works for me.

Bravo Concealment DOS. It just wasn't comfortable at all. When I was sitting it poked me in both directions and as far as concealability, I don't know that it's any less concealable, but I feel like I was more aware of the slight bulge with it sitting on the front of me. It felt like the first time I ccw'd all over again. I was checking myself every 10 seconds. I ditched the holster, later ditched the gun for a G26 and never looked back. I'm happy with IWB, it works for me.
    Being a straight drop IWB I wouldn't expect it to be comfortable in the appendix position.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

ScotchMan--I am neither a tall nor skinny type (6'/200lbs) and have no trouble with AIWB; in fact, most of the good shooters I personally know who AIWB are all smaller than me...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List