Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I ditched AIWB

Why I ditched AIWB

Tl;dr - I couldn't get it to work for me in most situations.

I could get it work with smaller guns like the Shield or a J-frame, but even when I used the right holsters from serious AIWB makers for full size guns, I just couldn't get it to work right. The biggest issue for me was a combination of concealment and comfort. No matter what holster/gun/belt combo I went with, I'd get either unacceptable printing, and discomfort when seated/bending over to tie my shoes.

The other big reason I switched back to traditional IWB is because I spend what little practice time I have these days on mostly competition shooting, so that means all my draws come from strong side 3-4 o'clock anyway. Having a different carry position for every day CCW didn't make a lot of sense to me; and it makes even more sense for my carry position to put the gun in roughly the same spot it goes when I'm practicing for a match.

Thanks for the article. I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. A J frame is the only pistol I've found that I can carry all the time comfortably AIWB and I don't want to limit myself to a J frame.

I've had decent results with a VG2 and a 19. PITA to train with though.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

To each his own. I hid a 3" GP100 pretty well last weekend in just a tshirt. I was comfortable except for the Safariland CD6 which dig into my hip unmercifully till I tossed it.

AIWB is the only way I can conceal a full size service pistol in light clothing. Without AIWB, I would be pocket carrying or downsizing pistol size.

AIWB is the most comfortable way for me to carry generally, and specifically in an aircraft.

Since I practice live fire mostly OWB, it means I need to put effort into practicing both types of draws.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    AIWB is the only way I can conceal a full size service pistol in light clothing. Without AIWB, I would be pocket carrying or downsizing pistol size.

AIWB is the most comfortable way for me to carry generally, and specifically in an aircraft.

Since I practice live fire mostly OWB, it means I need to put effort into practicing both types of draws.
    It is literally the opposite for me. AIWB is pretty much only useful for small guns for me, but I can conceal a service pistol much easier in light clothing in traditional IWB behind the hip.

My body by Budwesier prevents me from AIWB.

Haha

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who can't get AIWB to work. I'm 5'11" and 155 lbs, and can barely conceal a Shield in the Darkstar Gear AIWB. Carrying at 4:30-5:00 o'clock is the only way I've found I can reliably conceal a full size pistol. Most kydex holsters for traditional IWB carry are curved for more normal sized bodies and leave a lot of empty space between my body and my belt. Leather holsters with spread out belt loops like a TT Gunleather reinforced mouth IWB work the best for me.

I really wanted AIWB to work for me and I think I'll keep trying but right now, it just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person who can't get AIWB to work.
    No, that would be me. Some days I can get it to work, others I can't.

Okie John

I must have it easy, I can carry a P30 and believe it or not, a P226 AIWB without issue. It just works for me. The only issue is obviously tying my shoes. But I try to have my shoes on before strapping up.

My experience mirrors the South Dakotan's.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List