Thread: Difficulty with M&P .40 trigger vibration

Difficulty with M&P .40 trigger vibration

I’ve used the Search function and didn’t find anyone with this issue.

I have a “new” S&W M&P .40 that I bought last Fall but never got to shooting until recently. I was surprised to find after only shooting ~ 100 rounds that my trigger finger was throbbing.

I’m a Glock shooter, only 9mm, but have also on occasion shot .45 in Glock and 1911 forms. Although I haven’t shot much lately, in the last few years I shot several thousand (9 mm) rounds a year while participating in local IDPA matches. I’ve never experienced this. It was like my finger had been asleep and was getting its feeling back. It was extremely uncomfortable and I even found myself using a mechanic's work glove I keep in my range bag for use when cleaning up after matches, and it _still_ was bothering me.

I’ve had no work done to the M&P, and had already been thinking about an Apex AEK kit, because it comes so highly recommended, and because I have really enjoyed having a nice 4.5 lb pull on my Glocks after a few relatively easy modifications. But frankly, I’m wondering if there is something wrong with my M&P, or everyone who shoots one is tougher than I am, or… ?

I’ll get the AEK or similar replacement kit if it solves the problem, but I’ve never seen anyone mention this so I wanted to ask before I sink some money into it only to find that the vibration to my finger won’t be solved by that. Any insights?

I've put tens of thousands of rounds through M&P's in all calibers, including .40's, using stock triggers and have never felt, seen, or heard of the issue you describe.

Have you had someone else shoot the pistol?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by fortibus85 View Post

I have a “new” S&W M&P .40 that I bought last Fall but never got to shooting until recently. I was surprised to find after only shooting ~ 100 rounds that my trigger finger was throbbing.

I’m a Glock shooter, only 9mm, but have also on occasion shot .45 in Glock and 1911 forms. Although I haven’t shot much lately, in the last few years I shot several thousand (9 mm) rounds a year while participating in local IDPA matches. I’ve never experienced this. It was like my finger had been asleep and was getting its feeling back. It was extremely uncomfortable and I even found myself using a mechanic's work glove I keep in my range bag for use when cleaning up after matches, and it _still_ was bothering me.

I’ve had no work done to the M&P, and had already been thinking about an Apex AEK kit, because it comes so highly recommended, and because I have really enjoyed having a nice 4.5 lb pull on my Glocks after a few relatively easy modifications. But frankly, I’m wondering if there is something wrong with my M&P, or everyone who shoots one is tougher than I am, or… ?

I’ll get the AEK or similar replacement kit if it solves the problem, but I’ve never seen anyone mention this so I wanted to ask before I sink some money into it only to find that the vibration to my finger won’t be solved by that. Any insights?
    Perhaps it was just the .40 recoil impulse that you aren't used to? I have a .40 M&P and it is one of the few .40's I don't mind shooting, but it does recoil more than a Glock 9 mm.

While I am in no position of vast experience in firearms like those here, I can offer the last year's worth of shooting 3,000 or so rounds of 9mm through two M&Ps:

1) Rental M&P full size, about 800 rounds. Pistol was well broken in, with the stock action and trigger. I felt sometimes my finger would actually 'hurt' after a range session. Obviously I did not have a clue how to shoot. (Not convinced I do now, either lol)

2) My purchased M&P full size. From November to January I shot it stock. Say 400 rounds. I recall, again, the trigger feeling 'uncomfortable' (with the gritty take up and mushy, flexy feel.)

3) January 14, installed the Apex DCAEK and polymer trigger. Eliminated the grit, the take up was solid and no more flexy feel. The blade safety felt much firmer and the Apex poly trigger felt great. I measured the pull at 5.6 lbs. I fired about 1400 rounds in this config. Very comfortable.

4) October 14, I decided to put the stock trigger back in, to go to USPSA Production. Due to a mix up, the shop actually put ALL the stock parts back in, striker block, sear, S&W trigger, the lot. I got it home and immediately noticed the heavy trigger. I did not shoot in this config.

5) I got the gun back from the smith with the Apex DCAEK back, and the stock trigger. I'd guess the trigger is maybe 6 to 6.5 lbs (complete guess). I've been shooting in this config for a while, and am starting to get used to it. So far no discomfort with the stock trigger and the DCAEK.

My suggestion,for what it's worth, is to install the DCAEK but not the Apex poly trigger.

Hope this helps.

Rich in Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by fortibus85 View Post

This sounds not too far from what I experienced shooting the M&P slow fire off the bench. In my case I would describe it as a bruised finger where the trigger touches it. A 100 round session would definitely tenderize my finger. It was not as much of a problem is USPSA matches so maybe my finger sat slightly different in rapid fire.

As best as I could tell it was caused by the specific radius of the curved factory trigger engaging the bottom part of my finger pad. Switching to an Apex FSS trigger eliminated it. I've fired a Ruger P94 tens of thousands of rounds and Beretta, Glock and other brands less all without any issue.

I'm 5'9 with average size hands and a mechanic by trade. Not fat and not piano player slender fingers.

4K+ rounds through my M&P40. No problem firing upwards of 200 rounds/session.

User Tag List