Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's the deal with 3rd gen G22s?

Site Supporter

So what's the deal with 3rd gen G22s?

I hear that some PDs have had issues with the guns, especially when WMLs are attached? Anything in particular that can be nailed down as the cause of the problems? If so, what's the fix?

I suspect Chuck would be the best one to answer this question. Until then:

http://connect.lawofficer.com/forum/...ource=activity

There is EXTENSIVE documentation of the problem.

The solution is to move to 9 mm G17's; if you must stay with .40, then the M&P40 is the best option, although G35's may be an option as they seem to run better than the G22's.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There is EXTENSIVE documentation of the problem.

The solution is to move to 9 mm G17's; if you must stay with .40, then the M&P40 is the best option, although G35's may be an option as they seem to run better than the G22's.
    And more than a few Gen 4 G22's have problems with WML's as well. The M&P 40, with its heavier frame, doesn't seem to have the problem.

The enduring problematic flaws and problems of the G22 and G23 definitely play a role in why so many large LE agencies are dropping the .40 and moving back to 9 mm.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I have a Gen 4 G22 that seems like a much more robust weapon than my issued Gen 3 G22. I have never had a malfunction with duty ammo with a light on the Gen 3 but I have had a bunch with practice ammo. Like 10 failures to feed out of 100 rounds.

I have never had a single malfunction with the Gen 4, including with a light. I have a lot less rounds through that pistol though.

Either which way, 9mm is probably the way to go overall. I feel like a good arrangement might be that once you can pass something like LAPD SWAT qual with 9mm, then you can move up to .40 and try and pass it with that. I was thinking a lot today about how much more important skill is than caliber.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Site Supporter
    You can generally summarize 3rd Gen G-22s with one phrase: They suck.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I hear that some PDs have had issues with the guns, especially when WMLs are attached? Anything in particular that can be nailed down as the cause of the problems? If so, what's the fix?
    The county guys on our SWAT team had nothing but trouble with their Gen 3 G22/23s and metal WMLs (specifically the Streamlight TRL). They went back to the polymer M3 lights and the problems went away.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    You can generally summarize 3rd Gen G-22s with one phrase: They suck.
    I've been warning people away from the PD turn-ins that have hit the market recently. In addition to all the stuff mentioned above, I know a local department that is switching to 9mm Glock pistols. Their current issue G22's are some of the most hideously inaccurate pistols I've ever fired. At 25 yards the guns do not group, they pattern. I've fired multiple issued G22 pistols from this department and I was lucky to hit a standard 8.5x11" piece of paper with the weapons at 25 yards. From a bench and the prone.

I fired my Glock 17 into an identical piece of paper on the next target using the same methods at the same ranges and got pretty good groups...just to make sure I wasn't the problem.

When I hear that agencies like the FBI which issue .40 Glocks see an increase in quals when they switch to 9mm, I'm going to bet that getting guns which exhibit acceptable accuracy is at least part of the explanation. In Virginia the standard police qual target is the ol' B27, and with the problem guns I've personally fired the target would HAVE to be that big to have any hope of qualifying officers.
    3/15/2016

In a few words, the issue with the G22 is excessive slide velocity.

Without lights being mounted the gen 3 G22s can normally be made to run, and often even with a light mounted. Since the winter of 2005/2006 time frame when the dust cover was redesigned things got a lot trickier and I find running those newer guns with a light is a complete crap shoot.

User Tag List