Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DocGKR - Your .380 vs 38 SPL article

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Get out of my head dude.
    The .380 platform market is a large one, so the likelihood of such a cartridge being a profitable success would be high. Especially with good test data to back it up. Heck, with all the .380 popularity in the civilian market, such a cartridge could surpass the .380 and 9mm popularity since it would offer high capacity in a small subcompact.

Given the investments made in existing calibers, what's the likelihood that we will see a new defensive pistol cartridge be even remotely viable?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    The .380 platform market is a large one, so the likelihood of such a cartridge being a profitable success would be high. Especially with good test data to back it up. Heck, with all the .380 popularity in the civilian market, such a cartridge could surpass the .380 and 9mm popularity since it would offer high capacity in a small subcompact.
    The .32NAA hasn't exactly become the CCW world's darling, despite continued efforts at improving performance with heavier bullets from the likes of Hornady.

I was thinking .32acp long rimless magnum, try to get a .32H&R out of a small pistol, you could get like 12-14 rounds out of a gun the size of a G42

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The .32NAA hasn't exactly become the CCW world's darling, despite continued efforts at improving performance with heavier bullets from the likes of Hornady.
    Bottle necked pistol cartridges inherently suck. Limited bullet selection and weak neck crimps resulting in easy setbacks. The .32NAA cannot be loaded with long enough bullets to make it viable. For a .32 caliber, you would need a bullet weight of 110gr-120gr in order to match the penetration and expansion requirements of a standard service caliber. Basically that would be the standard 12-18" of penetration in FBI protocols, AND expanding to near 60% larger than its original caliber size. Plus, the .32NAA offers no capacity advantage over the .380. A straight walled .30 or .32 high pressure cartridge with slight case taper would allow for a double column magazine in a .380 sized grip.

At this point, no manufacturer has produced a .30-.32 caliber that will fit into the .380 sized platform, fire bullets with sectional densities over .140, and be of sufficient pressure levels to come close to FBI standards.

Site Supporter
    Wasn't there a North American Arms bottlenecked 32 based on the 380 for their guns? Didn't take, IIRC.

Oops - answered as I typed the same thing. Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I was thinking .32acp long rimless magnum, try to get a .32H&R out of a small pistol, you could get like 12-14 rounds out of a gun the size of a G42
    Something like this, Chuck? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.65%C3%9720mm_Longue

Yup, pretty much.

What I'm looking for is the background research for that article.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    You mean this aritcle? 12th from the top in the "Stickies": http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...0-ACP-vs-38-Sp

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I look at today's .380 as not so much a substitute for .38 spec, but more as a viable sub for, say, .22lr or 25 acp. Today's .380 offers either near-baby blowback .22lr-esque recoil (eg. G42) or near-baby browning vest pocket carry (eg. Kahr P380).
    This was always my take on the situation. An LCP takes up less slightly room than a Beretta 20/21A, but hits harder and for most people is easier to shoot.

User Tag List