View Poll Results: Which is it?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everyone is shilling something.

3 13.64%
  • Contributing members shilling is ok.

4 18.18%
  • New members that shill are the same as spammers.

11 50.00%
  • There is no shilling, its all just content.

4 18.18%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Shilling - your opinion on the matter?

Forum Shilling - your opinion on the matter?

When you see someone posting something on a forum do you instantly believe that person is trying to shill their *insert site, product, other money making endeavor* or do you automatically assume they are trying to post solid info based on the topic of that specific thread?

I am not talking about someone just appearing on a forum and posting links to their website "please check out this site!!" or whatever. I am referring to contributing members posting information and links specifically/directly relating to the topic of a specific thread.

Example:

Thread is started about a specific item, the widget.

Few members post random opinions.

One member posts his review of this specific widget, long time member with many informative posts.

Another member posts his video review of this widget, recently made his account and only posts his videos, no actual content other than that.

Which members are shilling? Which members are trying to generate hits for their site?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm not sure what you consider "shilling", though?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I won't consider buying a product unless it either fulfills a need or a want that I have. After that, reviews and stuff come into consideration, but I'm very very leery of wonder products. When someone comes along and swears up and down that a new rear sight does everything except cure cancer, I throw that review out. The obviously over the top stuff is just too obvious and doesn't impress me.

Also, I try to do a little research on who's doing the review and who their circles of friends are. I got burned pretty good some years back by a seller, and after a little research (post burn) I felt like the biggest fool on the web.

So, all that said, for me to trust a review, it needs to be low on hyperbole and heavy on facts. The more disclosure the reviewer gives about what interests they have in the product, the better.

Really doesnt matter so long as your honest about it. If I'm not interested I stop reading the thread If it is a custom maker showing what they are doing and looking for input I think it should be encouraged. Ultimately we control what we click on so if you feel your time is wasted move on to a different thread you dont have to participate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm not sure what you consider "shilling", though?

This ^^^^ as I'm not sure what YOUR definition is, either.

An Internet shill is someone who promotes something or someone online for pay without divulging that they are associated with the entity they shill for. A shill might create a Facebook or Twitter account, set up a blog or simply comment through these and other channels, such as discussion forums.
    Thats the definition of an internet shill, essentially someone who profits in some way from promotion.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Thats the definition of an internet shill, essentially someone who profits in some way from promotion.
    I guess the only way it would bother me is if:

• The commercial interest was not disclosed, and/or
    • The poster in question never participated in the forum except to pimp their shit.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    So, an astroturfer?
    Same difference I guess.
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If we're talking about astroturfing, then I'm not OK with it.
    Astroturfer wouldnt participate though, given the description.
    VDMSR.com

Question everything. If the person is part of the community, wherever that is, it's easy to do so. If it's someone new that's normally the litmus test.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List