Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW & Mental Illness - Advise Needed

CCW & Mental Illness - Advise Needed

If this belongs in a different section please move it. I figured since this issue involves LE, I would get better response posting it here.

I have an issue with a close relation that involves mental illness and firearms and I would like to ask for your advice. A close family relation of mine suffers from bi-polar disorder as well as substance abuse. This person has had a few run ins with LE in recent months and one incident involving suicidal threats resulted in several guns being removed from the property by LE, although they own more firearms. I just got word that this person has just acquired their CCW permit. Having been hospitalized and treated for mental illness, fired from their job over substance abuse, arrested, and had firearms confiscated by LE in the past I cannot fathom why this person was awarded a CCW permit, except that they lied on the form. With the shootings of late involving mass killing and the perp having some sort of mental illness that was diagnosed but not flagged in "the system" for background checks, it makes me nervous that I know someone with documented mental illness and "the system" is obviously not aware of it. Should I be the one to inform the Sheriff's office that a person they just issued a CCW permit has a history of mental illness with incidents of dangerous behavior involving firearms, ....or should I just let the system figure it out? I feel I have the responsibility to inform them but I don't really want to be meddling where I shouldn't be. I feel that if this person were to injure or kill someone while having a "breakdown" I would feel horrible by not trying to head it off when I could. I would appreciate any advice you all can provide.

Site Supporter
    Read the CCW application/law for your relatives State and make certain you're clear about what things would disqualify them from getting a CCW. IF you still believe that this relative would be disqualified due to mental illness, you should report it to the proper authorities. I would.

That said...... Keep in mind that in most places a person would have to be adjudicated/convicted (arrested is not convicted... ) or been found mentally disqualifying by a qualified mental health practitioner. If your relative has somehow avoided being convicted and/or diagnosed, there may be nothing the law can do...

It's still worth reporting, IMO. If your relative goes off the deep end and you've done nothing, how do you get over that?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Sounds like good advice from Roy. Are there any other family members that share your concern and interest in alerting the authorities?

In the meantime, keep us posted on your situation. I hope it goes well. Stay strong during this tough time and good luck.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Thanks guys. This weighs heavy on my mind. I will investigate this further. I did find this right on the main Hand Gun Permit page for their state. So it looks like this issue may be in question frequently.

I need to review this person's arrest history. I believe they were convicted of driving under the influence of prescription medications, which is related to their mental illness but I don't believe the mental illness fact was part of the conviction. I know that LE were at the residence at one point this year because of suicidal threats with a firearm which led to confiscation, but I don't think anything along the lines of charges or convictions were made. Not sure how suicidal threats are handled.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I figured since this issue involves LE, I would get better response posting it here.
    This thread was moved because it is outside of the LE Forum's mission statement:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...sion-Statement
    but keep the discussion confined to the topics of LE training and equipment.
    Let's also make an effort to use more descriptive thread titles.

Definitely solid advice from Roy.

If you're concerned about this - and you obviously seem to be - I'd have to reflect on a few questions. I think an excellent "tough decision" thinking process is to sit down and visualize the possible outcomes for five minutes (like, set a real timer for 5 actual minutes and think).
    • If this person was not a family member, what would you do?
    • If you don't report it, what happens?
    • If you do report it, what happens?
    Sheep Have Wool

Even if you do it anonymously, a call to the Sheriff's department and talking to someone who issues the permit to let them know that "one may have slipped through the cracks" is warranted. If you haven't noticed, government agencies are notorious for not efficiently moving information to where it needs to go.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Thanks guys. This weighs heavy on my mind. I will investigate this further. I did find this right on the main Hand Gun Permit page for their state. So it looks like this issue may be in question frequently.

I need to review this person's arrest history. I believe they were convicted of driving under the influence of prescription medications, which is related to their mental illness but I don't believe the mental illness fact was part of the conviction. I know that LE were at the residence at one point this year because of suicidal threats with a firearm which led to confiscation, but I don't think anything along the lines of charges or convictions were made. Not sure how suicidal threats are handled.
    The big issue is to determine if the suicidal threats resulted in an involuntary commitment; most do when someone is taken to the emergency department by LE. I suggest that you notify the sheriff who can make this determination.

One last point, you've mentioned several factors such as frequent police contact, substance abuse, etc. that make me think that you are dealing something other than bipolar. It sounds like this family member also has some deep personality disorder such as antisocial and borderline. These conditions can be tough to treat.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    It sounds like this family member also has some deep personality disorder such as antisocial and borderline. These conditions can be tough to treat.
    You are right on there. It has been a long tough road for this individual and their family.

I appreciate all the advice and I will think upon these things. I just want to make sure a call can not be traced back to me. It would be bad news for me and my family if this person were to think I was the reason their carry rights were taken away.

User Tag List