Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body cameras: Which one?

Body cameras: Which one?

Our department does not issue body cams to patrol officers. I'm considering purchasing one out of pocket. Which one should I look at?

I've been running the Taser Axon and am generally happy with it. The only glaring problem with it is download speed - if you run hi res it takes a while to clear the device.

I'm a huge fan of a head mounted camera as opposed to a chest/body camera. The head sees what you do much better and if you draw a taser or pistol, you will block a large portion of the FOV of the camera.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I've been running the Taser Axon
    Not cheap, but less expensive than I thought....
    http://www.taser.com/products/on-off...-officer-video
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Also, Digital Ally is supposed to be releasing their head mounted option at IACP later this month. I have an open request for a T&E unit as they have some neat features including integration with the in-car camera (activating one device activates the other). They have supposedly fixed the weak points of the Axon design including a smaller camera, wider FOV, and quicker download speed.

Taser! My department have been wearing body cameras since 2009. We tried out several models over the years. This this summer went to the Taser Body Camera. It seemed like with the other camera companies you are paying for the software and you do not get good video quality. With the Taser Camera, if you get it in the offline mode, the software is free. If you get it in the online mode you pay for the software and the cloud storage. My department went to the offline mode. In the offline mode you can download the video straight into a file on a computer. You get good video quality, especially at night and free software if you get the camera in the offline mode. Plus they are easy to use. I would go with Taser hands down.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill
    C.A. P.C. 832

been reading on the Tazer Axon cameras... wish us civvies could buy them as well. You're right they're not cheap but then the important things in life frequently aren't.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

A quality in-car camera runs $3500 and doesn't move around with you once you leave the car.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

One of our part time installers is a full time deputy, he uses a VIEVU LE3 and is pretty happy with it.

http://www.vievu.com/vievu-store/vievu-store-le3/

Looking forward to the Digital Ally product coming out. We've been pretty happy with their in-car products.

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    One of our part time installers is a full time deputy, he uses a VIEVU LE3 and is pretty happy with it.

http://www.vievu.com/vievu-store/vievu-store-le3/

Looking forward to the Digital Ally product coming out. We've been pretty happy with their in-car products.
    Us too. The one thing that I like about one of their body units is that it is advertised to interact with the in-car camera. If they had a version like the Axon Flex where I could just put them on my glasses I think it would be a hot item.

In regards to the Axon Flex, are the glasses provided or does the end user provide them?
    Last edited by KeeFus; 10-22-2014 at 05:02 PM.

I have a Vievu, and it's ok. I'd much prefer something that has video buffering.

My department has dragged it's feet for years on buying cameras for all of patrol, and quite a few officers have their own cameras. We've had a few issues pop up.

-Any device you download and/or store video from your camera, can be subpoenaed. Don't download video to a computer that you use for personal/family business.
    -Any video you take with your body camera is evidence. It needs to be logged, secured and stored according to your departments evidence handling and records retention policies. It should go without saying that you can't release video to the public. Any video you give to a coworker, needs to be signed for on a chain of custody form.

User Tag List