Thread: Gen 3 Glock failure, one I hadn't seen before

Gen 3 Glock failure, one I hadn't seen before

so out practicing tonight and a friend of mine comes along with his duty gun, Glock 23. It has the NY1 spring in it and I believe the + connector. Anyhoo, right off the bat he was missing steel, he's normally a very decent shooter, but at 10 yds he's shanking all over the place. He figures it's because it's his first time out since recovering from pneumonia, so I try the gun. I shank the first shot, bad, like 3 ft below the steel. Stunned I really, really deliberately do a slow trigger press, and shank another one. The trigger must have been 15lbs or more. And it got worse. I finally managed to squeeze off a couple decent shots and knock over my plates, but it took a helluva lot more concentration than I've ever had to put into a trigger to pull it off. He takes the gun back and continues to annoy himself with poor performance, finally he realizes something is really wrong with the gun and empties and hands it to me, I can barely get the gun to drop to the striker. He rips it apart (he's a newly minted armorer for his agency but hasn't done the Glock course yet, just all the cool autos), and notices that the connector has some weird wear marks on it. It is also really really dry, so we throw some lube on it put it back together, and it's fine. From what we can gather the way the NY1 setup works, it actually puts more friction on the moving parts wear it and the trigger bar touch. This area showed wear on the plastic NY1 and also on the underside of the trigger bar, and when attempting to dry fire it with the slide off you could see it binding up. Once the oil was in there, it was slick and no binding.
    So, me not being a huge Glock knowledge base I figured I'd see if anyone here has experienced similar failures. Talking to another buddy on the way home he told me that this was mentioned in his armorers course last year, but he couldn't recall all the details. Needless to say my buddy felt rather stupid about the whole thing, especially since he's normally pretty anal about cleaning and lubing his guns, but being sick for almost a month sort of screwed up his game. He's back at work tomorrow and will be giving the gun a more thorough check over than we could do at the range.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Hey Slavex,

It's been a few years since I went to Glock armorers school, but I think that Glock was not advocating a NY spring with a "+" connector due to the issues that you saw. IIRC they advised that the NY spring should be only used with the standard 5.5 and the 4.5 (-) connectors.

interesting. I could be wrong on the + item, but I'm pretty sure that's what he told me. I'll ask him this afternoon.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Dapimpspimp View Post
    Hey Slavex,

It's been a few years since I went to Glock armorers school, but I think that Glock was not advocating a NY spring with a "+" connector due to the issues that you saw. IIRC they advised that the NY spring should be only used with the standard 5.5 and the 4.5 (-) connectors.
    ABSOLUTELY CORRECT-DO NOT use a NY1 (or NY2) with a "+" connector.

I also strongly advocate using a cream/grease type firearms lube (my preference is TW25B) on the triggerbar/connector interface. The best way to do this is to do a detailed disassembly, and apply it to the connector and triggerbar individually, at the points where there's metal-on-metal interfacing.

Using a thinner lubricant results in the lubricant migrating/evaporating, resulting in unlubricated metal contact, potential galling, and a progressively more difficult triggerpull-as the original poster experienced.

Out of all the lubrication points on a Glock (and there arn't many of 'em) the triggerbar/connector is the most critical.

What begs the question is why in the world the original poster's friend would want such a heavy triggerpull as he was trying to achieve to begin with...

Best, Jon

So my memory didnt fail me.

Slavex, I sent him an e-mail today about it as well.

My bad, wasn't a + connector. It was a regular one, as issued by his agency.

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List