Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot your carry ammo regularly

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Guys with .45 ACP Defensive ammo being around $25-30 a box for a box of 20
    You should be able to get a box of 50 for $30. A quick Google search for RA45T yields some good results in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    You should be able to get a box of 50 for $30. A quick Google search for RA45T yields some good results in that price range.
    .... I love you.

Seriously. Whatever, I don't care if it's weird. I'm not saying No Homo, I love you.

(I'm kidding, about the weird, I seriously love you).

I buy nothing in gun stores, but for some reason I bought .45 ACP JHP.

ETA: I had to say, I found some used Ammo for sale on Google, I had to LOL.

I'm going to say it, I'd love to be able to never re-chamber a Speer Gold Dot, but... I just can't afford it.

I mean every time you practice, every time you unload to put in a snap cap, every time you dry fire, you eject a round, or you simply don't practice.

Should I never practice?

Because frankly, to an extent... that's the situation I'm ending up in.

How do you guys find a balance?

Honestly.
    If you're committed to a specific pistol type, then for all serious purposes you'll probably end up with two of them as a back-up for parts/pistol breakage. For live fire practice, you'd expend a chambered round; for dry-fire practice you'd use a spare.

If you have multiple pistols of different kinds but all are sample of 1, then you may want to reconsider your priorities.

If you have one pistol only and can't afford a spare at the moment, you're in tough situation, but, given the choice, I'd take practice over no rechambering. You can use calipers and measure your rounds at baseline and discard those that get shorter. Also, while I am not advocating rechambering, standard pressure 45 ACP rounds may be more forgiving to bullet setback.

Also, some guns have a much straighter feed angle.
    My P2000's are almost a straight shot from the magazine into the barrel, you can re-chamber the same round multiple times with no issues.
    My Kahr PM9 on the other hand feeds the round almost straight into the steep feed ramp, I'll only re-chamber the same round once or twice before I either shoot it, toss it or measure it.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    If you're committed to a specific pistol type, then for all serious purposes you'll probably end up with two of them as a back-up for parts/pistol breakage. For live fire practice, you'd expend a chambered round; for dry-fire practice you'd use a spare.

If you have multiple pistols of different kinds but all are sample of 1, then you may want to reconsider your priorities.

If you have one pistol only and can't afford a spare at the moment, you're in tough situation, but, given the choice, I'd take practice over no rechambering. You can use calipers and measure your rounds at baseline and discard those that get shorter. Also, while I am not advocating rechambering, standard pressure 45 ACP rounds may be more forgiving to bullet setback.
    I mean, the situation is recent college graduate still working the college student part-time job.

We're at different points in life.

How many duplicates of guns do you have?

I mean, the situation is recent college graduate still working the college student part-time job.

How many duplicates of guns do you have?
    Yep, trust me, been there, point of life that is.

I have two 1911s - owning more of those, appropriately set up for serious use, is an expensive proposition for anybody.
    In nine, I don't have duplicates, just a couple of samples of one; primarily, because I haven't committed to a specific platform. I am really hoping to change that, though. At present, I either use an entirely different 9 mm pistol to dry-fire, or unload, put chambered round at the bottom of a mag, and shoot the whole mag once I've chambered each and every round. That does get expensive even with 9 mm carry ammo. I don't fret if I lost track of it and may have rechambered this or that round twice, but I try to not to do it more than that.

Site Supporter
    My P30s have been quite reliable for me, until the other night and I went to shoot more of my carry ammo. The only (non ammo related) malfunction I've had was with the first mag of my carry ammo....
    Last edited by JV_; 03-19-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Site Supporter

I think many of us have been there. If you can't practice a lot, you really don't want to get behind the curve by changing guns.

If you send me what your carry load is, I'll keep an eye out for some good deals and PM them to you. Ammo deal hunting is almost a hobby of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I think many of us have been there. If you can't practice a lot, you really don't want to get behind the curve by changing guns.

If you send me what your carry load is, I'll keep an eye out for some good deals and PM them to you. Ammo deal hunting is almost a hobby of mine.

Jv,

I am looking for those one bullets, the ones in the movies, yea the one shot stoppers! but really I try and do the same, I spend a good portion of my time searching the internet for good deals on carry ammo, I think its ridiculous that they only offer the 50 round boxes to LEO, good thing they aren't that hard to find online.
    Chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    Jv,

I am looking for those one bullets, the ones in the movies, yea the one shot stoppers! but really I try and do the same, I spend a good portion of my time searching the internet for good deals on carry ammo, I think its ridiculous that they only offer the 50 round boxes to LEO, good thing they aren't that hard to find online.
    If you could readily sell the same product at twice the price by putting it in a smaller package, it kind of seems to be in your self-interest to do so.

Fortunately, the fact that you can easily find 50 round boxes online seems to be fairly common knowledge among serious shooters (which I spread to as many people as I can). Hate to say it, but most folks outside that population aren't going to be shooting enough defensive ammo to notice the huge mark up on 20 round boxes in the first place.

User Tag List